ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room #9 (5/25/2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 9th installment of The War Room for the off-season of 2011. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation. Here it is, the 9th edition of The War Room for the 2011 off-season:

Getting Close
Dayton is still very much in the mix to land Towson transfer Isaiah Philmore. While he has three schools, including Delaware State, that he is choosing from, most feel with his criteria that it is likely a two-horse race between Dayton and Xavier for his services. Dayton has the ability to offer playing time right away with the loss of Chris Johnson after this season, which could be a big boost for the Flyers. However, Xavier lost out on Louisiana Tech transfer Olu Ashaolu, which makes Philmore an even bigger priority for them.

An article earlier this week said that Isaiah will likely make a decision by Memorial Day, which is Monday. I traded a couple of texts with him last night and he told me, "I will be making my decision in the next two days as long as I'm 100% certain." He said he really hasn't really had a formal sit-down with his inner-circle, but has had some talks and is getting close to feeling comfortable with a single school. It's just a matter of time before we all hear something for sure, but he's not even leaving the slightest clue of where he's leaning at the point.

Everybody Knows Raymond's
According to reports yesterday afternoon, St. Raymond's (NY) 6-5 small forward Nkereuwem Okoro had committed to Iowa State. Later last night, Okoro denied the fact that he indeed did commit, which is good for Dayton. Okoro is one of Allen Griffin's 2012 players that he is in on early after moving to Dayton.

Along with Iowa State and Dayton, Pitt, Providence, Rutgers, Seton Hall, and St. John's are considered players for his services. He has named Iowa State as his leader previously, but he's not quite ready to end his recruitment. If he doesn't give a commitment soon, Coach Griffin will likely try to get him to visit Dayton's campus sometime in June.

Simon Says
Former NC State forward Simon Harris has been brought in to be a Graduate Assistant and will make his way to Dayton in a couple of weeks. Harris didn't produce much statistically in college, but he was always a fan favorite of the Wolfpack because he gave everything he had every time he stepped on the floor. The 2009 NC State grad always saw himself as a coach and now he'll get his break into the profession.

The connection is Simon's father, Larry Harris. The former all-time leading scorer at Pitt was an assistant coach at NC State with Herb Sendek and Sidney Lowe. He was there during Archie Miller's playing days and was also there in the one season Archie was an assistant at NC State (2005-2006) before following Sendek to Arizona State. If this is the start of a coaching career like the one his father enjoyed, then Simon Harris is a terrific addition to the staff.

Big Ten Opponent?
This one isn't done and may not get done, but I've learned that Dayton is in talks with the University of Michigan about a home-and-home series beginning this season. The Wolverines are the ones that approached Dayton about the opportunity and it's said U of M is looking for a deal with an Atlantic 10 team for a February non-conference game in the middle of conference action. It would be the first game the Flyers have played against a Big Ten team since they went to Illinois and won two years ago on their way to the NIT Championship.

The other A-10 team believed to be in the mix is Richmond, where John Beilein used to coach. The Flyers are said to be excited about the opportunity because its another BCS school on the schedule, but also the fact it would mean Paul Williams would get a game against the Wolverines in Michigan for his senior year. It sounded like there was a good chance it would come to fruition, but has some work to get done.

Wright Stuff
There were a lot of questions being asked about Chris Wright after he was left off the list at the NBA Draft Combine. Keep in mind, this is a top 50 players that receive invites and he's a borderline top 50 guy right now. DraftExpress listed him as one of their top snubs, along with familar names Jacob Pullen, Damian Saunders, and Willie Reed. NBADraft.net currently has Wright being taken with the 57th pick by the Dallas Mavericks.

I was told last week that Wright has eight individual workouts scheduled with teams including Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Golden State, New Jersey, Portland, and Washington. They are also waiting to hear back from the Lakers, 76ers, and Bucks. The workout schedule begins with Golden State (5/31), Detroit (6/2), and Chicago (6/6) . I talked to a NBA pre-draft trainer a while ago and he told me he thought Chris Wright has a really good chance to be taken in the second round because he's a fringe guy to begin with, but his reputation is solid with a lot of teams in the league.

That does it for this edition! A firm reminder, that whatever is said in the War Room, needs to stay in the War Room. I'd like to formally welcome all the new subscribers we've had since last week's War Room, and thank everyone for being a part of this community. It's all of you that continue to make this place the most special place to talk Dayton basketball. #3 Dayton Baseball opens up the Atlantic 10 tournament today at 3:30 against #6 La Salle as they look to capture their first ever NCAA invite!

PAST WAR ROOMS (COACH STOCK TOO):
#8: The War Room #8 (5/18/2011)
#7: The War Room #7 (5/12/2011)
#6: The War Room #6 (5/4/2011)
#5: The War Room #5 (4/27/2011)
#4: The War Room #4 (4/20/2011)
#3: The War Room #3 (4/14/2011)
SM: Stock Movement (3/29/2011)
#2: The War Room #2 (3/24/2011)
#1: The War Room #1 (3/17/2011)
This post was edited on 5/25 9:21 AM by Matt Schwade

Status