ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room (5/11/2023)

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 5th installment of The War Room for the 2023 offseason! As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation.

Without further ado, here it is.... The 5th edition of the War Room for 2023!

C’EST UNE BATAILLE

French forward Michael Belle wrapped up his official visit to Dayton and boarded a plane to Richmond, Virginia for an official visit to his other finalist, VCU. This is a two-team inter-league battle. There seems to be a lot of cautious optimism in Dayton about how the visit went, but I joked that it was time to hold your breath.

Belle came to the United States with his sister and agent/advisor. From what I was told, all three were very impressed with what Dayton had to say with all of them providing solid feedback with their comments. Only problem is, I don’t have any sources on the VCU side to hear how it’s going.

Although I haven’t been able to confirm, I have heard that Dayton’s NIL team has proposed to Belle and his crew some of the opportunities/money they had set aside for Toumani Camara. I could see Belle also getting a lot of those minutes early on in his UD career that Camara was playing. Everyone I've talked to has raved about his athleticism.

Although I haven’t been able to confirm the terms, I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Jeff Goodman was leaked the information and told to post about Dayton taking a European trip to Spain and France from August 4-13th. That was strategic. It not only says to Belle you’ll have a chance to travel home this summer, but it also tells him you’ll have the chance to be out of the country, making money. We should know something by the end of the weekend as he wraps up his VCU visit today and will fly home and likely discuss with his parents. Yes, you should be blue in the face right now if you’re still holding your breath. Maybe you should resume normal breathing now and just patiently wait on the decision.

GONE FISHIN’

Since the commitment of Marvel Allen over the weekend, I’ve been told the focus has turned to frontcourt players including obviously Michael Belle being brought in for his official visit. I’ve been told that Dayton has had their head down as they try to identify a dozen or so potential targets that can play the four and/or the five.

While it’s still early in the process, I’ve been told that a few of the bigs are waiting to see whether or not DaRon Holmes II will be back in a Dayton uniform next season. Some sources I’ve talked to are confident he will be back, while others are still calling it a 50-50 shot.

Early names I have heard tossed around are Brandon Gardner, who I think Ricardo Greer is the lead recruiting on. He’s the 2023 high school prospect from Christ The King Regional in New York. He’s got some big offers already and is ranked 75th in the Rivals150. One thing that seems to be going in Dayton’s favor is most of these schools are wanting portal transfers with college experience over inexperienced high school seniors at this juncture of the recruiting season.

Another name that I’ve heard is Isaiah Miranda, who had famously said at one time he wanted to play with Marvel Allen in college. The 7-1 NC State transfer red-shirted this past year for the Wolfpack, but averaged 20 points and 12 rebounds a year ago at Southern California Academy as a post-grad.

The problem will be that Deuce has until May 31st to remove his name from the Draft and return to Dayton. Certainly some of their targets will have committed elsewhere between now and then, that’s why it’s important that they have the wide net casted for his replacement.

CONFERENCE TALK

Big East commissioner Val Ackerman is scheduled to meet with Fox Sports in the next 10 days or so. Topics that are almost certainly going to be brought up are the possibility of expansion. With the figures that were released about the top-grossing basketball programs in the country and Dayton being on there is quite significant.

From what I’ve heard about Dayton’s current TV revenue, the fact the Flyers are as high on the list as they are says something about their Return on Investment. If the numbers I’ve heard are accurate, it’s not even close to a million a year that Dayton is bringing in from television contracts.

If the Big East does decide or is forced to expand, Dayton has to be one of the top candidates to receive an invite. What it would do for the rest of the league in terms of TV ratings, ticket appeal, rivalry games, fans traveling is so attractive to those decision makers.

While I’ve been hearing the AAC has been a topic of discussion recently, to me, it sounds like Big East or bust still. With the possibility of the NCAA expanding to 96 teams in the near future, the need to be affiliated with a higher-profile conference for at-large resume building might not be important. But, to me, the TV contracts and exposure should be a huge driver for Dayton to want to join the NBE.

одложен

One of the more intriguing prospects, to me, in all of these commitments is Vasilije Erceg from Serbia. Very little is known about him in the United States outside of those dedicated international analysts and scouts. I’m excited about getting to cover him and watch his development.

When he committed to Dayton at the end of March, he originally told FlyerHoops that he planned to be on campus between mid-to-late May. Vasa recently told me that the timeline has shifted quite a bit for him and his arrival.

Erceg was selected to the U19 Serbian National team and will participate in selection camps over the next several days. He could potentially make the final U19 Serbian final roster that will participate at the FIBA U19 Basketball World Cup that will take place in Hungary from June 24-July 2nd.

Vasa said he spoke with Coach Grant, who was more than happy to allow him to delay his May arrival until sometime in early-to-mid July to allow him to take advantage of the opportunity to compete internationally for his home country. Exciting opportunity, and without checking the recruiting calendar, I would someone from the Dayton staff to be present in Hungary to support him and take in other international prospects. FlyerHoops wishes him good luck on making the World Cup roster!

ONE MORE THING…

Everyone is home right now except those guys that are currently rehabbing after surgeries. A lot of the transfers will start trinkling in next week. Mali is scheduled to have his surgery early next week. Timetables are that he should be ready to go around the beginning of September so he won’t be able to play in Europe, but should be ready for the season. Keep Mali in your prayers as he gets that other ankle operation on Monday.

CLOSING

That does it for this edition of the War Room! Thank you to all of you… You are what makes this board so special and the best place to talk Dayton basketball all year round! A special welcome to all of those that have signed up for FlyerHoops recently—it’s definitely an exciting time to do so. Remember what I said in an earlier War Room. Dayton needs quality depth on their roster, and I think they’ve done an excellent job of addressing that since the season ended. Make sure to hug Mom on Sunday and tell her you love her. To all the FlyerHoops Mamas, a Happy Mother’s Day to you! Until next time, We Are…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News