ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room #4 (4/20/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 4th installment of The War Room for the off-season of 2011. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation. Here it is, the 4th edition of The War Room for the 2011 off-season:

Archie Miller has accumulated a lot of miles in the past week alone. Since last Thursday, Coach Miller has been to New York, Florida, Ohio, and Indiana. Three of the four locations were obviously recruiting trips with the one to Ohio being back in the office. Let's dive right in to what he's been up to for the last week.

Je m'appelle Alex
Coach Miller made a trip to Bradenton, Florida last week for IMG Academy 6-9, 230 lb. big man Alexandre Gavrilovic. Alex is a native of Strabourg, France, and originally signed a NLI to Providence for the 2010 season. He was ruled ineligible by the NCAA Clearinghouse after all his french credits didn't completely transfer over. He sat out this season and worked out at IMG and this will count as his transfer year and he'll be eligible at his college choice right away. He'll be considered an International transfer that will have four years to complete four years of eligibility.

His coach described him to me as a 4/5 on offense with the ability to guard three spots. Studying video of him showed he can play with his back to the basket against the smaller defenders and could shoot the three ball with consistency.

Schools that are on his list right now include Central Florida, Dayton, Duquesne, Kansas, Loyola (Chicago), Mississippi State, and Towson. He'll likely visit Dayton this weekend or early next week, and Coach Miller or Coach Kuwik was expected to visit him either yesterday or today with the hopes of finalizing a visit date. Gavrilovic scheduled to head back to France on May 5th for a month so he's wanting to make a decision prior to leaving. Alex was a member of the France U-20 National team that won Gold last year.

Dr. Baller, M.D.
While in New York, Miller visited Westchester Coummunity College wing Marcus Damas. As a freshman two years ago, the 6-7, 200 lb. Damas redshirted at Cowley College in Kansas. He transferred to Westchester where he averaged 15 points and 10 rebounds this season as a redshirt freshman. With the four-in-five rule, he'll now have three years to use three years of eligibility at the school he chooses to continue his career. He said he'd like to make a decision in the next three weeks.

He originally committed to the old coaching staff at Towson and there were reports early last week by multiple sites that cover JUCO recruiting that said he had recommitted to Pat Skerry and Towson. I talked with Damas last night and he in fact told me that is false, that he is open and looking at all options, but Towson is still one of the schools on his list. In fact, he told me he is scheduled to visit Towson today. He said he could be setting up a visit for Dayton for sometime next week, and didn't know if he'd make any more visits than those two. DePaul and Providence are the other two schools said to be involved with him.

Abell to go elsewhere?
So here we are a couple of weeks after Louisville Eastern's Remy Abell asked Bradley for his release from his NLI, and he is still waiting. I traded emails with his AAU coach Jeff Davis who let me know that was the case, despite their request for the release a while ago. He did clue me into the fact that a lot of schools are showing interest in the ways they are allowed to. And yes, that includes the new Dayton coaching staff. He didn't want to name schools with Abell still committed under a NLI, but said "A LOT of schools" are showing interest.

Geno Ford and Bradley were in Louisville on Tuesday to meet with Abell for the first time since the former Kent State coach got the job. Remy is reportedly going to talk things over with his family and then decide what his future holds.

Wizard of Osborne
On Monday, Coach Miller checked in on 2012 forward 6-8 Nick Osbourne out of Muncie Central in Indiana. Osborne averaged 16.6 points and 10.4 rebounds this past season as a junior. He told me he was impressed with Archie when he got to talk to him. If you'll recall, Osborne was recruited by the old Dayton staff and has been a guest at games at UD this past season so that should help the Flyers cause.

He's being recruited by a slew of schools -- Alabama, Ball State, Boston College, Butler, Cincinnati, Dayton, Fordham, IUPUI, Miami (OH), Northwestern, Northern Illinois, Stanford, Valparaiso, and Xavier. He's running with the Eric Gordon Central Stars this summer and likely will be a guest at Dayton's open gyms in June.

"Red" Rover
Miller was seen back in Dayton this past weekend, showing Adrian Autry around campus. Although we broke the story on Autry last Friday and said Bill Comar would be the DBO a week and a half ago, I'm told that the official announcement is hung up right now in the human resources department.

A source said that Coach Autry could be Archie's top assistant on the staff. That's a pretty big jump considering he has just one full year of experience as an assistant coach at Virginia Tech, but if anyone could do it, it's Autry. He was known as an intelligent point guard though and has already shown his ability to communicate and create strong relationships as a coach and mentor. His addition to the staff has already created quite a buzz in the coaching circles.

That does it for this edition of the War Room. Again, we have quite a few new members to the board that we've added recently. I want to thank all of you for subscribing and formally welcome the new subscribers we've had since the last War Room. It's all of you guys that make this place the most special place to talk Dayton basketball.
This post was edited on 4/20 9:02 AM by Matt Schwade
This post was edited on 5/12 1:30 PM by Matt Schwade

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News