ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room #12 (6/17/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 12th installment of The War Room for the off-season of 2011. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation. Here it is, the 12th edition of The War Room for the 2011 off-season:

Top Flyght
We're now officially less than a week away from the NBA Draft. As a Cavs fan, I'm very excited and hope they find a way to get both Kyrie Irving and Derrick Williams. Also, another big reason to be excited is the possibility of the first Dayton Flyers player to be drafted since 1990. Chris Wright had a busy week this week, working out for a total of four teams before it's all said and done.

Prior to this week, he had worked out for Golden State and Chicago. This week, he has/had workouts with Boston, Philadelphia, New Jersey, and Detroit. He has one more workout scheduled with Washington before the draft next Thursday. A few scouts I've talked to this week feel like he'll be a second round pick next week, and one I talked to said it's a 50-50 chance. It'd be great for the Dayton program and great for his family to hear his name called next Thursday.

Two Locals
As all of you are aware that read this board, Alter's Jaaron Simmons and Springboro's Maverick Morgan (both 2013) visited Dayton yesterday. Jaa visited in mid-morning, while Maverick came in the late afternoon. Maverick noted that he was on campus for almost three hours. Both guys came away impressed with what the new coaching staff had to say.

Here's what the two guys had to say:

Jaaron: "We talked a lot about getting a bond and knowing each other. The visit was actually really good... A lot of great changes."

Maverick: "The visit went great, and the new staff is great too. We talked a lot about how I would develop there and become a better player. We watched a lot of film on Derrick Williams."

"They said they were coming to watch me in July. I'm excited about being recruited by Dayton, it's such a great school."

Hawg transfer?
We know Glenn Bryant went to Eastern Michigan earlier this week, but another former Arkansas Razorback is now on the board. Former Hawg starting point guard Jeff Peterson graduated after four years and has one year of eligibility left and is transferring. From what I've gathered, it seems like there is some mutual interest between Dayton and him.

I spoke with Peterson this week and he told me right now he is concentrating on finishing a couple classes and then will sit down with his family afterward to discuss his transfer options. He originally transferred from Iowa after his sophomore year, transferred to Arkansas-- sat out a year and played a year before graduating. This past year, he averaged 6.3 points in starting 23 games, dishing out 70 assists to 53 turnovers. As a sophomore at Iowa, he was a double figure scorer (10.6 ppg) and dished out 4.2 assists in starting 25 games before sitting out the remainder of the season with a hamstring injury. He would likely come in and push Kevin Dillard for the starting spot, and provide some much needed depth at that position. Florida State is the other school that showed initial interest after the announcement. And yes, he would be eligible right away.

Hey Hayes!
One of the top prospects in the state of Ohio got a call from Dayton Wednesday on the first day 2013 prospects could be called directly from college coaches. Toledo Whitmer forward Nigel Hayes has been pursued heavily since Archie Miller and Kevin Kuwik came to Dayton. They saw Hayes workout in the early evaluation period at a Whitmer open gym.

The 6-7, 210-pound Hayes told me he heard from Akron, Cincinnati, Dayton, Memphis, Ohio State, Toledo, West Virginia, and Wisconsin also. There's been some questions regarding his recruitment because he'll likely be able to decide on whether he wants to play football or basketball in college.

Houston traveling from NYC to Dayton
Wings Academy (NY) point guard Deonte Houston was originally a class of 2011 player, but reclassified to 2012. This past season, he averaged 14 points and six assists in being an All-City selection. He played with the New York Panthers AAU program, the former squad that Dayton assistant Allen Griffin ran with back in the day.

Houston has been hearing from Dayton, George Mason, Manhattan, Quinnipiac, Siena, and Western Kentucky. Hofstra was recruiting him when Coach Griffin was there and has continued the recruitment at Dayton. I spoke to Houston recently and he told me he's trying to get a date finalized for visiting Dayton in the next couple of weeks. That was the only school he mentioned that he wanted to visit during the month of June.

That does it for this edition! A firm reminder, that whatever is said in the War Room, needs to stay in the War Room. A welcome and a thank you to all the new subscribers and a continued thanks to all the loyal subscribers that just can't get enough of Dayton basketball. It's all of you that continue to make this place the most special place to talk Flyer Hoops!

PAST WAR ROOMS (COACH STOCK TOO):
#11: The War Room #11 (6/8/2011)
#10: The War Room #10 (6/1/2011)
#9: The War Room #9 (5/25/2011)
#8: The War Room #8 (5/18/2011)
#7: The War Room #7 (5/12/2011)
#6: The War Room #6 (5/4/2011)
#5: The War Room #5 (4/27/2011)
#4: The War Room #4 (4/20/2011)
#3: The War Room #3 (4/14/2011)
SM: Stock Movement (3/29/2011)
#2: The War Room #2 (3/24/2011)