ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room #11 (6/8/2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 11th installment of The War Room for the off-season of 2011. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation. Here it is, the 11th edition of The War Room for the 2011 off-season:

Callsign: Maverick
Springboro center Maverick Morgan was on campus yesterday for an open gym. This comes a couple of days after he put together quite a dominant weekend at the State AAU tournament. He told me he's hearing from Dayton, Ohio, West Virginia, Wright State, and Xavier. His first offer came about a month ago from Wright State, and I could tell in his voice how excited he was about that first offer when he told me.

Might he be on the verge of getting another? He was invited back to Dayton next Thursday for an unofficial visit along with his parents. He told me his parents are real excited about Dayton and the possibility to play close to home. The 6-10 Morgan should start seeing more scholarship offers come his way in the middle of this month when the 2013 class can start receiving calls from coaches.

Another Dayton Devin?
We talked last week how Montour 2013 point guard Devin Wilson was supposed to take an unofficial to Dayton last week, but had to cancel because his teammates had to get back to Pittsburgh after they were eliminated from a tournament in Columbus. I talked with Wilson again last night and he told me that that visit has been rescheduled for this week.

Wilson will be on Dayton's campus this Friday morning for an unofficial visit. We've heard all along that the new UD staff felt really good about making a big impact with 2013 kids because they're on an even playing field, as far as recruitment goes, with other schools that are recruiting the same 2013 prospect. It seems like they really emphasizing 2013 before that mid-June date and will attack 2012 with visits towards the end of the month-- not told this, just a hunch based on the evidence laid out.

Bad Boy coming to town
Here's another scheduling update... I've learned that Dayton will host Florida International and former Detroit Piston guard-- FIU coach Isiah Thomas. The Panthers finished 11-19 last season, but are welcoming in two three-star recruits that they're hoping to get the program turned around with.

FIU returns two of their four double-figure scorers including top scorer DeJuan Wright (14.5 PPG, 46.9% 3-PT) and Eric Frederick (12.6 points). The Panthers are expected to be a lot better in Thomas' third year in the program.

Razor-back to the Midwest
Here's a name to keep an eye on for a 2011 scholarship. 6-8 sophomore forward Glenn Bryant just announced he is transferring from Arkansas. He's originally from Detroit, Michigan, and played at Oak Hill for his senior year. He was a Rivals150 kid out of high school, known for his length and athleticism. He averaged 4.1 points, 50.5% from the floor, 3.0 rebounds, and an impressive 51 blocks in 12.9 minutes per game.

He's wanting to get closer to his home in Michigan with his transfer, so the move to Dayton seems logical. Now I haven't heard anything on whether Dayton is pursuing for sure, but was told when it was first announced, it's likely that it'll be Tom Ostrom's call on whether UD pursues Bryant. I've got a couple of different sources on this one, so I'll reply to this thread if I hear anything new.

Big A
A small update on Alex Gavrilovic-- I spoke with him the other day via email. He's back in France, wrapping up his final exams on June 14th. While in France, he's been practicing with the French national team he played with a year ago. He told me he will likely be on campus on June 24th, the day before Team Camp begins. I'm hoping to be down there for that Saturday so it'll be a chance to meet him for the first time.

That does it for this edition! A firm reminder, that whatever is said in the War Room, needs to stay in the War Room. Thanks to the new subscribers we've welcomed in the last week, and hope you enjoy what you've been able to learn so far! It's all of you that continue to make this place the most special place to talk Dayton basketball.

PAST WAR ROOMS (COACH STOCK TOO):
#10: The War Room #10 (6/6/2011)
#9: The War Room #9 (5/25/2011)
#8: The War Room #8 (5/18/2011)
#7: The War Room #7 (5/12/2011)
#6: The War Room #6 (5/4/2011)
#5: The War Room #5 (4/27/2011)
#4: The War Room #4 (4/20/2011)
#3: The War Room #3 (4/14/2011)
SM: Stock Movement (3/29/2011)
#2: The War Room #2 (3/24/2011)
#1: The War Room #1 (3/17/2011)