ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room (10/08/2021)

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 5th installment of The War Room for 2021! As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation.

Without further ado, here it is.... The 5th edition of the War Room for 2021!

SECRET SCRIMMAGE

What has become somewhat of a tradition since the Archie Miller days, the Dayton Flyers are forfeiting one of their exhibition gate receipts in exchange for holding a Secret Scrimmage with another Division I program. In recent years, the Flyers have scrimmage teams like Cincinnati, Illinois, Northern Kentucky, etc.

This year, they are moving to the Big XII and they will scrimmage Bob Huggins and West Virginia. Sources tell me it will take place at the end of this month. No location was given.

The Mountaineers were a three seed in last year’s NCAA tournament, but Deuce McBride decided to leave WVU for the NBA following the season. They would have been comfortably in the Preseason Top 25 with is return, but most likely will be a team that starts outside the Top 25 and will have to play themselves in.

There are a couple familiar names on the West Virginia roster. Former Sinclair guard Sean McNeil is of course one of the top returners for the Mountaineers. As is former Dayton target, Jalen Bridges. They also welcome in Old Dominion transfer Malik Curry. McNeil (12.2 PPG), Curry (15.7 PPG), and Taz Sherman (13.4 PPG), all three guards, were all double figure scorers a year ago so Dayton’s new backcourt will get a huge test. I’ve been hearing some high regards for Kobe Elvis so far in the preseason practices so I am anxious to hear if anything leaks from the actual scrimmage about these perimeter matchups.

MONGOLIAN MIKE

They must really, really like Mike Sharavjamts. The Flyers hosted him and his ISA assistant coach last week for an unofficial visit. On the visit, I was surprised to learn that Mike received a scholarship offer.

When I asked my sources if Dayton would accept a commitment from him now, it was a unanimous yes! I had heard all summer that the Flyers would not oversign and that they would just keep recruiting 2022 players in case a scholarship reopened or if the 2022 decided to go JUCO or reclass to 2023.

I was told the visit went extremely well and that both sides have a strong mutual interest. Like I said, this visit was with his ISA assistant coach so only Mike saw it from his side. I also mentioned in a reply that I heard that Dayton was working on setting up an official visit for him to come back for the exhibition or season opener.

From speaking to those same sources, it appears that the Flyers are trying to get him in for the exhibition. They are working on also trying to align schedules with his mother who is currently visiting from Mongolia as well as a brother in Chicago so that they would be able to fly in for the official as well. This got real serious, real quick. Feeling good about Mike if they are able to lock down this official visit for November 1st.

KEEP AN EYE ON…

When Anthony Grant got the job, there was a hard initial push by Coach Grant to land Upper Arlington’s Dane Goodwin. The familiarity was there—roommate’s son, father and mother’s alma mater. It made too much sense. But his love for Mike Brey and Notre Dame won out in the end. The kid can make his own choices.

There were some of us, myself included, that thought Dane could possibly end up as a Flyer after a couple of seasons in South Bend as a transfer. Here we are today, Goodwin is entering his Senior Year at Notre Dame.

I was told, though, to keep an eye on him this season. Because of the free COVID year that everyone received, Goodwin could possibly return for a fifth year or decide to play his fifth year elsewhere (Dayton anyone?).

Solid player, but the NBA is probably not in his future. Return to college for a fifth year or play overseas? He will receive his coveted Notre Dame degree at the end of this school year. Oh, and Mike Brey enters this season on the hot seat. Starting to make a lot of sense again. Time will tell if Dayton will have a spot for him and if Goodwin would pass up that opportunity once again.

CURRENT PLAYERS

I haven’t been able to get much in terms of how certain guys are looking, but one thing that was said to me—the level of recruit that Dayton is bringing in now is far superior to what they brought in before Anthony Grant and its apparent right away.

All the pieces seem to be versatile and fit together nicely. As I mentioned previously, Kobe Elvis is said to be looking solid in preseason practices—even a candidate to start in the season opener. He’s much more polished than initially thought when he arrived nursing some bumps and bruises from last season. I've also been told that Elijah Weaver has taken on a leadership role and these guys have been quick to follow.

People I’ve spoked to are raving about the quality of depth that Grant has brought in. The Flyers are expected to turn up the on-ball pressure this season, maybe not extend full court, but you should see the defense much improved. All the players down the roster can shoot too.

I think the rotation is going to look something similar to the Elite Eight team in terms of numbers. Consistency was an issue last season and I think that will be the thing that separates this team from being a top Atlantic 10 team and a middle of the road team this season.

BIG EAST TALK

With the recent conference movement, the talk of Dayton leaving the Atlantic 10 for another conference has been reinvigorated. At one time, it seemed as if the AAC and the Big East were the two most viable options. Thankfully, they didn’t jump at the AAC opportunity with the exodus that has taken place there recently.

From my sources, it appears that Neil Sullivan is still in the mindset of Big East or bust still. I’ve been told that Mr. Sullivan and Spina are working extremely, extremely hard on that possibility and has had multiple conversations with Big East Presidents and Athletic Directiors as well as other college Presidents and ADs about the potential of joining them in their next venture (if there is one).

From what I’ve been told, Dayton is being very proactive with their approach and feels they must be prepared for the possibility of being the only team added if the Big East does decide to go to 12. There is also the possibility that the Big East may expand all the way to 14 or 16 teams and the Flyers are actively trying to find partners that would go with the in the event they add 3 or 5 more teams.

Like I said in the last conference update, I’m at the I’ll believe it when I see it stage. One source did tell me though, “I’d be surprised if Dayton was still committed to the Atlantic 10 in the next 12-16 months… And the Atlantic 10 is well aware of that.”

CLOSING

That does it for this edition of the War Room! A formal welcome to the new subscribers and a thank you to you long, loyal subscribers. You all are the reason why this site is the best place to talk Dayton basketball all year round. One quick personal note before I go… I have the Lord to thank for being alive this morning. Yesterday, my car skidded off the road when I tried to make a sharp turn on a slick road. I missed an oncoming car, a huge tree, and a telephone pole to land into the opposite ditch. It’s a Miracle that nobody was hurt and with the help of some others that witnessed the whole thing, my car was out of the ditch and I was on my way home just 10 minutes later. My 7 year old daughter took it very hard when I told her the story, but I am thankful that God was watching over me and my family yesterday. It sounds cliche, but make sure to tell your loved ones how much you care for them and hug them often.

Be careful out there, I hope you all have a great weekend! Until next time, WE ARE...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News