ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room (05/11/15)

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 3rd installment of The War Room for the off-season of 2015. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation.

Without further ado, here it is.... The 3rd edition of the War Room for the 2015 off-season!

FINALLY.
For those that have been anxious about Dayton's recruiting efforts, here's some welcome news. The Flyers will host it's first official visit this coming weekend when Bradley transfer Josh Cunningham makes the trip to Dayton. Dayton has been very selective with their two scholarships they have for 2015-2016 and Cunningham has been a focal point since shortly after he announced he was leaving Peoria.

He averaged 7.9 points and 7.5 rebounds per game as a freshman this past season at Bradley. Cunningham was the high school and AAU teammate of Kyle Davis, who was recently named a co-captain for next season. Davis is expected to be the "host" for the former four-star and Top 100 recruit.

RUNNING POINT
Former Dayton Flyers shooting guard Jordan Sibert had his first NBA workout last Friday when he worked out for the San Antonio Spurs. I'm told the feedback he received was that they love how he shot the ball and competed and defended multiple positions.

A thing that Archie Miller recruits and expects from his players is versatility. I'm told that is making Jordan a more attractive player to NBA teams. During the workout, he has been running point as well as playing off the ball.

Sibert has two more workouts scheduled for later this month with the Phoenix Suns and the Dallas Mavericks. The New York Knicks, Brooklyn Nets, and the Cleveland Cavaliers are going to bring him in too, but no dates have been talked about as of yet.

STEVIE
As you'll recall, things weren't looking so well for Steve McElvene after his first semester at UD. I was being told there was a lot of work to be done to get him eligible by the fall. I started hearing optimistic news a couple weeks ago and was told that there was some confidence building about Big Steve's status for the 2015-2016 season.

I got confirmation this weekend that grades were released late last week and Steve had a terrific semester and if the season began today, he'd be suiting up and able to take the floor for the Red and Blue. Now, he just needs to remain consistent with his effort this summer and Dayton should have an answer in the middle for next year's edition of the Flyers.

SUMMER
I'm told that the details about Dayton's summer trip that they'll be taking as a team will likely be announced this week. As of right now, the only details I really have been told is they'll be going to the Bahamas and they get 10 practices.

The last time the Dayton program made a summer trip was in Europe, a few months after Archie Miller arrived in the Miami Valley (2011). Back then, Archie said, "The one thing you're really striving for is togetherness. The players probably, quite frankly, won't understand how beneficial this trip will be until they're done with college."

With his best team at Dayton probably being his 2015-2016 group, the togetherness is not questioned. However, they're trying to take the next step as a program into being a consistent Top 25 team and they're hoping this trip does that.

CLOSING
That does it for this edition of the War Room. I hope all the mothers that are on FlyerHoops had a great Mother's Day!

Thanks to everyone for your continued support and a formal welcome to those new subscribers to the site. It's all of you that make this the best place to talk FlyerHoops all year round!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News