ADVERTISEMENT

War Room (3/30/06)

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
This is not the juiciest of War Rooms loaded with new information, but I thought it was important to set some things straight and start looking at new things.

Welcome to the first installment of The War Room for the 2006-2007. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation. Here it is, the first edition of The War Room for the 2006-2007 Recruiting Season:

When these two transfers occurred, my sources told me that Dayton were actively recruiting, but not necessarily going to sign anyone for this fall. They were looking at impact players regardless of age, regardless of position: just players that can make a difference right away. The good thing is Dayton only has to replace 6.2 points and 6.5 rebounds. So though sources say they might not even get anyone because they didn't lose that much, I would beg to differ. When you take a look at it, it's replacing two bodies at the same position that provides the team with depth. Alvarez was averaging 18.5 minutes and Cripe 12.8 in the games they played (total of 31 and 24, respectively). With that, my money is on a post player for one of the two available scholarships and I'm guessing it won't be a high school senior, though I could be wrong. I would assume that they go after a JUCO center or power forward/center that can come in right away and give you 20-25 minutes a night. If Des was in better shape, we might not even be having this discussion, but right now they cannot rely on the big fella to give you 30+ minutes every game. Junior College coaches generally keep their players uncommitted until the Spring because that's when opportunities like the one that just occurred with two players transferring happen. Here's a list of some of the top uncommitted JUCO centers:

James Davis (7-0, 275 lbs.) - Schoolcraft Michigan. This is a school where BG has some ties, going back to his Michigan State recruiting days, however I am not so sure he would get involved with a kid like James Davis. He's an NBA-type prospect but has baggage you would have to be willing to deal with both in the classroom and out.

Jerome Habel (6-9.5, 210 lbs) - San Bernardino Valley. Skilled big man, averaging 18 and nine boards. Originally signed with FSU out of high school, but was forced to go to JUCO to improve his academic standing. Visited San Diego State recently, but he was willing to go to Florida State previously, away from the West Coast. Biggest offer was Oklahoma, but now with Kelvin Sampson moving on, his recruitment could be up in the air.

Marlon Jones (6-10, 263 lbs.) - Cape Fear Community College. Good size, interest from Chattanooga, Winthrop, South Carolina, Wyoming, East Carolina, and UNC-Greensboro.

Andre Hill - (6-10) All-American transferred from Georgia Military to Dodge City. An athletic big man that can wow people with his dunks. Very raw player at this point.

Hernon Hall (6-10, 245) - Lon Morris JC. Originally from Costa Rica, the 4th ranked player by JUCOJunction had pledged to Danny Nee and the Duquesne Dukes. It's not sure whether or not Hall will end up at Duquesne now, however, due to the coaching change. Duquesne sources told me just prior to the new coach announcment, that Hall, as far as they know, will be coming to the Pittsburgh-area school still.

Luis Guzman?
Guzman was quoted after he announced his Temple decision, that Dayton was a close second place in his running. Guzman was a sought after prospect, but also said to have some issues that he needed to work out before Dayton coaches would offer and be willing to accept a pledge. He's been on campus previously and liked it a lot, liked the coaching staff, so I'm not quite sure if he does get released from his LOI, if he won't be calling the Dayton coaches. Would they listen to him on the other end? He's definitely worth listening to, in my opinion.

Derwin Kitchen
After Derwin Kitchen and I spoke a month or so ago, he said Dayton hadn't showed too much interest, but that he believed it was because they didn't have a scholarship available for next season. Now that there is two available, I've sent some feelers out there and awaiting feedback to see if Kitchen would be interested in re-joining London Warren in the Dayton Flyers backcourt. He was runner-up in Mr. Basketball for the State of Florida, and was expected to be playing in the Final Four this weekend with Gators but was ruled to not qualify prior to this basketball season.

The story on Alvarez
I've talked to a lot of people regarding the transfer of Alvarez because that one was obviously the most shocking of the two. Most told me that it had to do with Alvarez' playing time and where he was playing. It seems that Chris and the people around him including his old high school coach at Blair, thought he should be playing at the three spot for UD. A lot of people told me that Alvarez might have had some problems with his attitude in the latter part of the season, making both parties re-evaluate things after the St. Joseph's game.

Third Transfer?
People were asking me about a third transfer a while back. I will say that there was one player rumored to be transferring all the way from mid-season until the past couple of weeks, but I was told that person got along with everyone on the team except Alvarez, and when Chris decided to leave, this person ended any thoughts of transferring himself.

2007 prospect
Dayton is actively recruiting a point guard from Blair Academy in Justin Robinson. Robinson is also hearing from Michigan, but ties could have been hurt these past month or so. With the transfer of Alvarez and him being close to the Blair coach, you wonder if this might damage recruiting with Justin Robinson. Recruiting is recruiting, it's always up to the kid, but coaches do have a lot of influence in their swaying.

That does it for this edition of the War Room, if my predicitions reign true, I think we'll be discussing at least one new player in the next month or so that will be coming in the fall of 2006. As always, thank you for your continued support and I'll be working my sources dilligently to try and come up with some great information for all of you.
This post was edited on 3/30 4:48 PM by Matt Schwadeif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}
This post was edited on 3/30 5:29 PM by Matt Schwadeif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News