ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room (9/29/2005)

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the twenty-first installment of The War Room for the 2005-2006. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation. Here it is, the twentieth edition of The War Room for the 2005-2006 Recruiting Season:

Jerome hasn't roamed to Dayton
Let's face it, if you're a fan of the little 5-8 point guard from Hales Franciscan in Chicago, it stinks that Randle wasn't able to make it these past two weeks for his official visits. The Flyers had in their stud-athlete on the wing Marcus Johnson for his official visit, and this past weekend, they brought in one of their wing prospects from the JUCO ranks. You always hope that they can get a great feel for what they're coming into and it would have been an opportunity to play along the side of the supreme athlete Marcus Johnson in open gyms. However, legitimate issues came up and thats just part of recruiting and Jerome sounded sincere about his disappointment in missing the trip the last two weekends. And it honestly sounded like he wanted to make that trip next weekend, but I don't think anything officially has been rescheduled. I'll find out more when I call him on Sunday to see how his trip to Cal went. To me, personally, I think it sounds like there are some people that are not wanting Jerome to make the trip to Dayton. Time will tell, what evolves from this whole ordeal.

Sweet Lu
Speaking of point guards, I tried to point it out yesterday on the board, but in my articles I quote only what I hear from the recruit since you can't speak to coaches about recruits; and I've also pointed out that there are two sides to recruiting, what the kid says and what the staff's plans are for recruiting. While Luis may have said he had a great deal of interest and even a lean towards Dayton at one time since he got back from the Dominican, it doesn't necessarily mean that the Flyers have him as one of the recruits at the top of their list. In fact, I kind of got the feeling in our last conversation with Luis that Dayton has been quiet on his front and that he is looking more and more at Temple now. I had heard that there might have been some movement with caution from Dayton's side when it came to his recruitment for whatever reason. He's a fine skilled player, but I just think the Flyers are probably going in a direction for a guy that will put the team above himself first and really wants to be a Flyer. I enjoy talking to Luis, he's a good kid. I just get the feeling he likes the spotlight of recruiting too much. I'm going to be honest with you, I think the chance he ends up in a Dayton is very, very slim. In fact, I'd be really surprised if the Flyers weren't playing against him with him wearing an Owls uniform.

Not the General
Seminole State College's Robert Lee was the lone visitor last week after Randle didn't make it for the second weekend in a row. Lee is a 6-2, 190-pound guard originally from the Fort Worth area in Texas. His visit was said to have gone very well last weekend, but I think there are some hurdles he has to overcome academically before he has the chance to become a Flyer. He was originally suppossed to visit Houston last week, but with Hurricane Rita, the visit was cancelled and enabled the Flyers the ability to bring him on campus. I have a call into his JUCO coach, but haven't heard back from him yet. Coach Beyer might be conducting an in-school visit with him today. He's a jumping jack on the floor and is said to be a pretty good shooter, particularly inside the arc. He has some consistency to gain from the three-point line, but he's definitely a solid player that could be a heavy contributor if he works out his issues and is brought into the program. The fact that LSU, Arkansas, and Mississippi State recruited him out of high school should tell you about his talent level.

High School Hides
I get the feeling from talking to my sources that there may be a couple high school guards out there that I am not even aware of at this point. You know I am working my contacts hard and doing some research, but those names should be coming to the site very soon as October rapidly approaches and more visits are taking place. Someone even hinted that I may not even have knowledge of one of UD's top point guard prospects, so I think everyone needs to relax with the panicking. I just report what I am told by either my sources or what I hear from high school/AAU coaches, or the recruits themselves. We already know how well Coach Gregory evaluates talent and even has some admirers follow him at times on the road during the summer to see who he is watching. As soon as I find something out and I can verify things, you all find out too. It's just a matter of timing and verification. Bear with me, I don't think I've ever let you down before.

Two Jucos?
For the first time all recruiting season, I am starting to feel like if the staff doesn't get the one or two guards they want from the high school ranks, they won't hesistate to bring in two juco guards, one wing, one point. Tyrone Brazelton is definitely one of those players that has a chance to be brought in as the staff will be evaluating him over the next couple of weeks when they go see him play. If they bring him in, the staff then has the chance to either A) bring in a freshman point to spread out the classes or B) bring in a freshman shooting guard to help a thin backcourt or C) bring in a JUCO shooting guard that can contribute right away and help let Brian Roberts play both backcourt positions.

Back in the Atlantic 10?
Former Richmond Spider Andres Sandoval situation is all starting to make sense now too. The 6-4 combo guard has enrolled at Santa Fe Community College in Florida and is definitely on the Flyers' radar. He had a medical redshirt two years ago so with him enrolling at a JUCO for this upcoming year, he can transfer to a D-I school next year without sitting out and on top of that, without losing a year of eligibility. Texas A&M and Dayton have both offered, but I have been told that he hasn't visited the campus yet, but it's a strong possibility over the next couple of weeks and there is some intensity in his recruitment from the Dayton end.

I think with Midnight Madness rapidly approaching, recruiting should be close to finished or already done by that time. So these next two-three weeks should be intense times! Glad you're all aboard!

That does it for this edition of the War Room. Just to warn you beforehand, the Buckeyes and Browns are both off this weekend with byes. What am I going to do with myself without those two football games this weekend? I'll be flying out to Boston tomorrow morning and taking in all three games of my beloved Yankees and the Red Sox from Fenway Park this weekend. I fly back on Monday morning, so if there's no article Monday morning, that is why. Plus the fact that I may not make it out alive wearing a Yankee jersey into Fenway! Should be a fun weekend, and I can't wait to experience it. As always though, I don't want to leave the War Room without thanking all the loyal subscribers of FlyerHoops.net and making this the absolute best place to talk Dayton basketball!
This post was edited on 9/29 9:31 AM by Matt Schwadeif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News