ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room (9/15/2005)

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the nineteenth installment of The War Room for the 2005-2006. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation. Here it is, the nineteenth edition of The War Room for the 2005-2006 Recruiting Season:

Glimpse of the future backcourt?
This weekend, the Dayton coaching staff will host two players on their official visits. The one that everyone knows about in little speedy Jerome "The Handle" Randle out of Hales Franciscan. The 5-8 point guard is on his second (middle) of three visits after visiting the "favorite" Tulsa this pas week. On Monday, Randle hosted BG for an in-home and by all accounts, it seemed to go well. At this point, I think Dayton has a little bit of ground to make up, but if his mom and him go into this visit with an open mind, I don't think it will be an impossible feat to accomplish. Dayton has plenty to offer any young man and with the playing time available for a point guard, the selling points for the Flyers increase that much.

Open Gyms have become a staple on any recruit's official and unofficial visits. Perhaps, there will be a glimpse into the future this coming weekend with Randle taking his official and also already-committed Marcus Johnson taking his. Johnson unofficially visited in June, but will spend this weekend at his future school, while being able to play along side perhaps the future UD point guard if everything goes well.

Pearson news
I talked with Roderick Pearson on Monday night and he said he is scheduled to visit on September 23rd, which is a week from tomorrow. He told me he could be ready to commit after he comes home and sits down and talks it over with coaches and family. However, sources have told me that his visit will likely be pushed out to October. I've stated before I think Pearson needs some seasoning to his game and would benefit from playing behind another point guard for two years, and I really think if Pearson ends up a Flyer, that it means Dayton landed a Junior College point with the other scholarship available. Another quick side note: Pearson has a brother that will be a freshman this season in Kansas City that is said to have some skills as well.

Junior College route
Speaking of JUCO point guards, that little poll I posted on Tuesday, well I think I got some of the answers by talking to my sources. I've learned that the Flyer coaching staff will only go down the Junior College route if the situation is absolutely perfect. There's more variables to take into account when recruiting JUCO players as oppossed to high school players including getting the credits transferred to Dayton. There's about five junior college players that they are evaluating currently I only know of two thus far, but I am dilligently working my experts. I've been told that Tyrone Brazelton could fit that bill. The Flyers recruited him out of high school a little bit, but he didn't get the test score. By all accounts, he seems to be doing his job on and off the court at Missouri-West Plains. I spoke to him the other day and he said he would definitely like to finish his recruitment in the early signing period, so there should be some visits taking place between the two parties in the next month. BG will be out to see him again by the end of the month and Pacific will be visiting him next week.

Willie the Pooh
Talking about Pacific, how about if we stay on the West Coast. Some might assume because Ernest Williams did not make his scheduled visit last week, that he may not be at the top of UD's recruiting list. Don't be fooled; sources told me that EW is definitely a Plan A recruit if they decide to go after a shooting guard with one of the two remaining scholarships, and that the visit didn't happen because Williams has some things to take care of first. He's definitely a BCS-caliber player and the Flyers will likely reschedule his visit for sometime in the beginning of October. Bob Beyer and Brian Gregory are both heavy on Pooh's recruitment and dominoes should start following in the next couple of weeks letting Flyer fans know which route the coaching staff will choose.

Sweet Lu
Out of the blue on Monday night, I received a call from Luis Guzman. Generally, I have to iniate the calls if I want an interview, but Lu called me to let me know his recruiting update and to let me know he was back in the country. When I asked him about his recruitment and if he has a leader, Luis said to me, "I'm leaning towards you guys." While I am just an independent publisher covering (not representing) the University of Dayton, it was obvious he meant the Dayton Flyers. He did say, however, that he planned on taking three official visits before making up his mind, so time will tell where he ends up. He said that since he's already taken an unofficial visit to UD, that it's about 50-50 he uses one of his officials to see the campus again, although I think it would be a benefit to both since the students are in school right now. The Flyers would definitely like to see what comes of this weekend with Randle, but if not, the heat could be turned back up on Lu.

That does it for this edition of the War Room, I think there was quite a bit of good information in there after a week off enabling me to compile info from my sources. This will be the first uncommitted official visit this weekend and it should be a good one. Dayton has been long on Randle's recruitment and is looking to make up ground on Tulsa. We'll have an update on how that goes next week! We've received a few new subscribers in the past couple of weeks so I want to welcome them as well as thank all the subs for making FlyerHoops.net the best place to eat, breathe, sleep, and oh yea, talk Flyer Hoops.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News