ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room (8/7/2009)

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 15th installment of The War Room for the off-season of 2009. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation. Here it is, the 15th edition of The War Room for the 2009 off-season:

I am going to start this War Room by warning you that this is not going to be an earth shattering report or there might not be a lot of specifics mentioned, but I am telling you what I know and hopefully it helps you to understand the situation recruiting-wise the staff is in and what their focus is.

Schollie Sitch
With the four commitments and the situation they have with the roster, the coaching staff is looking at this fifth scholarship as having three scholarships over the next two years -- meaning that they're not afraid to carry that final 2010 scholarship over if they don't find a player that fits their wants and needs.

I was told they will continue to actively recruit for that 2010 scholarship and if they don't find someone in the fall, they'll recruit throughout the year for possibly a JUCO player or even take another transfer after the season (which would also mean that'd make the player eligible in 2011 also).

What I've been told on the final scholarship is almost definitely for a big man. They're in a very dynamic situation with their wants and needs, they can be as picky as they want with that one because they have a TON of options.

Disclaimer: El Hombre and Friends, skip to next bolded section
With that in mind, leads me to everyone's favorite target Adreian Payne. Nobody these days seem to be able to tell you what he is thinking or feeling, only what Art Winston is. A couple weeks back, I was told Dayton was still recruiting him even after Art Winston's five school list, and I don't expect that to change until he makes a commitment to a college.

There was a quote from Juwan earlier in the week that basically said "I guess Dayton is too close" and it sounded like Juwan heard that second-hand, not directly from Adriean. Here's what Juwan told me about Adreian: "With Adreian you never know. I know he likes Dayton a lot, you can tell that in all the open gyms he comes to. I know his grandmother likes it a lot, so we'll see."

Because of the bang-up job they did with the other four scholarships in 2010, that fifth one is pretty much a luxury. If they want to continue to pursue a top target in the country that happens to be a few blocks from campus, they have that ability.

2011 Top Targets
Looking at the recruiting efforts of 2010, Dayton landed a point guard, a combo guard, a big shooting guard and a versatile power forward. And with their target being a big man with the final scholarship, the glaring obvious need for 2011 is a small forward. With that being said, I am told that three guys right now are above everyone else on the board: Markus Crider, Jakarr Sampson, and James Siakam. Crider is a Dayton kid, so while I don't think anyone would admit it to me at this stage of the game, I can only imagine that he is top priority right now. I don't think I have to say it, but any of the three would be another nice land by the staff. And without a doubt, I think 2011 has become the staff's focus as opposed to the final in this current class.

Oh Mickey!
Last, but not least, as you're probably aware by now Mickey Perry got his knee scoped last week to get it cleaned up after open gyms this summer. Mickey was a huge reason the Flyers were still successful after Rob Lowery went down last year with his knee surgery. All the guys left to go home for a couple weeks before fall classes began, but Mickey had to stay in Dayton to rehab. I am told his surgery and rehab have gone very well and that he'll finally get to go home today back to Chicago.

Closing
That does it for this edition of the War Room. Thanks to all for your continued support... I have an interview tonight for my book.. For some of you long-time Flyer fans you might remember this guy.. He played before and after World War II and was a part of Tom Blackburn's first time -- Jim Finke. Hope you all have a good weekend!
This post was edited on 8/7 6:19 AM by Matt Schwade
This post was edited on 8/7 6:20 AM by Matt Schwade

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News