ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room (6/22/2006)

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the tenth installment of The War Room for the 2006-2007. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation. Here it is, the tenth edition of The War Room for the 2006-2007 Recruiting Season:

Big D part II?
It's kind of quiet around the Dayton recruiting scene, but I am optimistic that we are going to see some fireworks soon. With the Shoe Camps right around the corner, I think Dayton might be on the verge of receiving a verbal if all goes well. And my money would be on Romulus big man Devin Searcy. Talking with people around Searcy, I believe he is definitely favoring Dayton at this point and he could be close to a commitment, seeing as he was quoted as saying probably right after Nike All-America Camp he'd make his decision. If Searcy does indeed come to Dayton, think about the athletes UD will be putting on the floor in the fall of 2007.

Welcome Matt
I talked with Matt's father on Monday night for quite sometime and I found out a lot about the Howard family. Matt is the eighth of 10 kids in the Howard family, and amazingly enough, he is the only one that has a love for competitive sports. Matt's older sister is said to be a hell of a basketball player, but just never liked to play in a team atmosphere and hated the competitive part of the game. Howard, his mother and father, and brother Tim all visited UD last Friday. He will likely stay close in proximity to his home, and the favorites are believed to be Xavier and Butler. I can't tell you if that changed after the UD visit, but I should be able to soon when I am able to get in contact with Matt, who is playing at an All Star event in Valpo until Sunday. Matt participated in the XU Team Camp and will be making an unofficial next Wednesday to Xavier. Mr. Howard said they all enjoyed the visit to Dayton and they felt like Brian Gregory is a genuine coach and person. Connorsville is a mere hour or so away from Dayton.

Kurt the Beast
Those who have seen Kurt Huelsman lately, including multiple people I have spoken to, have said the same thing. "He is a monster now!" Apparently, Huelsman has worked extremely hard in the weight room and is an absolute beat, adding some bulk to his frame. UD is likely going to need him to play next year (instead of redshirt) because of the lack of interior depth. Huelsman has held up his end of the bargain and put himself in position to be college-ready shape.

Big Des
Another player that has said to have really worked himself into great shape is Desmond Adedeji. People that have seen him play this summer have told me he looks in excellent shape and is showing great side-to-side movement. His drop step in the paint is quicker and he is getting up well above the rim. One person who saw an open gym, said Desmond was just shooting with another player and decided to go up with a windmill dunk that he completed. A year ago and 10-pounds heavier, he would not have been able to pull that off. The goal is likely to lose another 6-10 pounds before the season, but he'll have to do that on his own. He's leaving this weekend to go back home for the second session and will return right before school starts and be thrown in the Toronto preparation practice right away. Encouraging news for UD's post players, especially after the departure of two leaving Dayton with a thin frontline.

That does it for this edition of the War Room. Thanks to all of you subscribers that make this the best play to talk FlyerHoops and thanks and welcome to the new subscribers this week. There is no better place to get the latest Flyer Basketball hoopla as I am sure some of the long-time subscribers can attest to. Thanks again folks, and keep rooting on Chris Wright as he gets more respect and exposure for himself, and the University of Dayton.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News