ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room (6/14/2007)

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 13th installment of The War Room for the 2007-2008. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation. Here it is, the 13th edition of The War Room for the 2007-2008 Recruiting Season:

More CJ
Just a little wrap up on Chris Johnson's recruitment. Obviously, I've talked to him quite a bit this recruiting season and have gotten to know him pretty well. I think the Flyers are very pleased to get rewarded with his early commitment because I definitely think as more schools see him in July, the more he would have been recruiting by the BCS Conferences (same thing we hear about Wright and Benson). He's an outstanding young man from all our talks, and seems very happy to be close enough so his mother will get to see him all the time in college. The other thing he told me that he liked about Dayton was how comfortable he felt, how the coaching staff made him feel, and how the whole program just seems like a big family. We'll get to see him at the Great All-Ohio Shootout just after the 4th of July, and then they'll be at Showcase and Nationals in Orlando at the end of the July.

Jules, a Diamond in the Rough?
A new name for you is 6-8, 240-pound Julian Mavunga. The Brownsburg, Indiana native plays in the summer for Jim Reamer's Spiece Select. As a junior at Brownsburg, he averaged 15.8 points, 9.1 rebounds, and 2.0 blocks. He has a slew of offers from Mid-major schools and his biggest being Penn State. He's a guy that will likely blow up in the month of July as he has schools from the Big Ten, Big East, and Atlantic 10 all evaluating him. In the Spring AAU season, he grabbed most everybody in the nation's attention with a 15-point, 18-rebound effort against DTA and 5-star Michigan State commitment Delvin Roe.

Welcome Matt?
Matt Kavanaugh from Centerville has been a name that's been on the recruiting board for quite sometime. As you'll recall, he was a frequent guest as this past season's Flyers game. I've been saying all along that I think he'll end up a Flyer if UD offers. Well, I've confirmed with my sources that he has been offered a scholarship by the Flyers early. I've talk to my sources and sources around his recruiting, and with that being said, I feel like Kavanaugh could be and should be a Flyer by the time it comes for him to make a decision. He's been a Flyer fan for quite some time, is my understanding, I remember seeing him in Dayton gear nearly every game he was at. People around him have told me "he really likes Dayton a lot." And from everything I've gathered, it appears the coaching staff has done a nice job with his recruitment.

MJ again?
Some outstanding news came to me earlier in the week. Former Dayton Flyers guard Mark Jones has been added to the coaching staff. Here's a guy that wasn't even recruited by the current coaching staff and he wanted to come back and be on this staff. Once things settle down, I'll do an article with Mark to talk about things. Here's a kid that won a lot of basketball games and got to the NCAA tournament when he played at Dayton. He was always a guy that worked hard and won. His attitude and work ethic should help out this program even more than the four years he gave the Flyer Faithful in his playing days. Also, if you'll recall, Brian Gregory always said that Mark was going to be an outstanding coach down the road. It looks like UD will have another strong part in that development. Congratulations MJ! and Welcome Back!

That does it for this edition of the War Room. Thanks to all who have just signed up for the site, again, I encourage you to partake in the message board discussions. It's the subscribers we have that make this the best place to talk about Flyer Hoops!
This post was edited on 6/14 2:14 PM by Matt Schwadeif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News