ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room (6/12)

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 11th installment of The War Room for the off-season of 2009. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation. Here it is, the 11th edition of The War Room for the 2009 off-season:

Searcy International
There were a lot of people last season that felt Devin Searcy should be getting more minutes at the center spot -- at times, myself included. A reliable source told me that Devin Searcy will get a head start on his competition this summer and a lot of people are excited about it. Searcy is said to be traveling for two weeks with the Athletes In Action team in August, and will get an opportunity to face International competition. People I spoke to said the staff is excited that Searcy is going to be able to hone his skills for a couple of weeks in New Zealand and are expecting some bigger things from him this season.

Sewell Cool
Well, I've been hearing that former Flyer great Brian Roberts has been taking part in open gyms at UD, but he wasn't the only guest this week.

I was told earlier in the week that Josh Sewell made an unofficial visit to Dayton's campus on Monday with his coach. Sewell participated in the open gym against the Dayton players, not the first time he has done so. The feeling I get is that Josh is really growing on the coaching staff with his solid personality and genuine good feeling about the Dayton program. He has really been improving and is still hopeful to get a scholarship offer from the Flyers. I think he is borderline at this point, and a couple more solid outings in early July and I think it could net him a scholarship offer.

So Close
I think there are a handful or so players that are *this close* to getting an offer from the Flyers. Right now, these guys are players that Dayton really likes, but maybe the staff just hasn't quite seen enough of them. Granted, I don't think one more look at any of these players is going to get them an offer, but it's another first-hand evaluation. Josh Sewell is one of those guys, Devin Oliver is another. I don't think it's a coincindence that both of those two teams will be at Dayton's Team Camp. Another team I wouldn't be surprised to hear is going to be there is St. Francis DeSales in Columbus -- or Nick Kellogg. He doesn't have an offer yet, but the feeling I get is the staff likes him and wants to see him a few more times to see if they have a fit for him at UD. That's the reason you have these types of camps, and it sounds like they're taking full advantage of it this season.

Back and Better than Ever!
I don't think there's any doubt that this is the most cohesive and hardest working group that Brian Gregory has had since he took over the coaching job at Dayton. Although Matt Kavanaugh is has been around playing in the open gyms, he and Josh Parker are the only two not to be on campus at that point. The two of them will officially arrive on campus for the second summer session on June 20th. So that means the entire team will be back on Dayton's campus by next weekend. Plenty of time left in the summer for them to work hard and play hard together. I think most everyone involved with the program is excited about the Top 20 Preseason ranking, but it's time for them to take the next step and they're showing it by their commitment to all be on campus by the end of the month.

Closing
That does it for this edition of the War Room. Thanks everyone for their continued support and a special thanks and welcome to those that have just signed up in the last week. You all are what makes Dayton Basketball so great to cover! I'll be touching base with Jalen Steele here soon to see what's new with him and hope to talk with Josh Sewell about what he's feeling.. Enjoy the weekend!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News