ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room (5/30/2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 6th installment of The War Room for the off-season of 2014. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation.

Without further ado, here it is.... The 6th edition of the War Room for the 2014 off-season!

What's Cooke-ing for this weekend?

The Dayton Flyers will host James Madison transfer Charles Cooke immediately following the dead period for an official visit. The 6-6 wing averaged 14.3 points and five rebounds in 35.1 minutes this past year as a sophomore.

It's been reported that he's down to Michigan State, Rhode Island, and Dayton. There's some question marks whether or not he has already visited Rhode Island, but he definitely hasn't visited Michigan State yet and a visit date wasn't setup as of Sunday. Source told me Kevin Kuwik has done a terrific job in handling Cooke's transfer. Charles would have to sit out the 2014-2015 season and then would be eligible in the 2015-2016 season with two years left.

Stop on a Dime

Dayton offered JUCO center Malik Dime a scholarship a little more than a month ago. As a freshman at Indian Hills CC, he averaged 7.7 points, 4.2 rebounds, and 2.9 blocks in just 10.8 minutes per game. Indian Hills used a similar approach to Archie Miller in that they played a lot of guys and spread out the minutes.

He's back in his hometown of Columbus and Dime informed me that on Monday, he will make an unofficial visit to Dayton. Other schools that he mentioned that are recruiting him include Arizona State, Arkansas, Cincinnati, Creighton, Georgia Tech, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, USC, and Wichita State.

Run through Buffalo

Last week, I ran a story on Top 50 2016 point guard Howard Washington from Canisius High School in Buffalo. Dayton offered him not too long after their Elite Eight run and it didn't hurt that the Flyers upset both Ohio State and Syracuse in his own backyard.

Washington recently informed me that Canisius will be coming to Dayton next month (6/21 - 6/22) for Team Camp. It will also afford Washington the opportunity to take an unofficial visit of campus. It's a huge win for Archie Miller and his staff to get Canisius to Team Camp, they did a similar move with one of their top 2014 targets (Ryan Luther). While it may not have led to a commitment then, they've got a lot more going for them this time.

Another Transfer Option

Samford guard and SoCon Freshman of the Year Isaiah Williams announced that he would transfer late last week. On Tuesday, he officially received his release from the Bulldogs. According to his father, he told me that all other SoCon schools, Kennesaw State, and Georgia have been blocked as schools where Isaiah can transfer to. The lead recruiter on him at Samford just accepted a position on the staff at Georgia and that's why UGA is being blocked.

His father also told me that Butler, Dayton, Mississippi State, and UNCW have all requested a copy of the release from Samford. He averaged 11.9 points, 3.4 assists, 77% FT, and 39% 3-PT as a freshman this past year. I can't see them taking more than one transfer so how Williams recruitment evolves could depend on what Charles Cooke decides to do for his future.

Big next month

A couple of week's ago in the War Room, I informed you that Stevie McElvene is still working to become eligible. I was told that his eligibility has a lot of dependency on his aptitude tests and that he took the SAT on May 3rd. He'll likely take it again on June 7th and also the ACT on June 14th.

The second summer session begins on June 23rd at Dayton, so we should know more by then.

CLOSING

That does it for this edition of the War Room. Looking for the Flyers to be quite active once this dead period is lifted.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support and a formal welcome to those new subscribers to the site. It's all of you that make this the best place to talk FlyerHoops all year round! We Miss you Monster!

This post was edited on 5/30 10:16 AM by Matt Schwade

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News