ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room (5/15/09)

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 7th installment of The War Room for the off-season of 2009. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation. Here it is, the 7th edition of The War Room for the 2009 off-season:

Tip of the Cap!
First and Foremost, Congratulations to Tony Vittorio and the Dayton Flyers. They set a school record with their 37th win (21 of their last 23) of the season on Thursday, beating archrival Xavier in extra innings, 8-5. The win also put them 22 games over .500 on the season!! More importantly, with their win and St. Louis' 5-3 win over Rhode Island on Thursday night, the Flyers clinched the Atlantic 10 title! One more win, and they'll be assured the #1 overall seed in next week's Atlantic 10 tournament. The Flyers are trying to breakthrough this season and make the NCAA tournament and have a chance to earn an automatic bye next week at the A-10 tournament at Fifth Third Field in Dayton. It would be nice for the guys to have a big, hometown contingent at next week's tournament to hopefully propel them to the NCAA Regionals!

Once, Twice, Trey
A lot of people talked about the Zeigler recruitment and how he failed to mention Dayton in an article that was posted on Michigan State's site. I talk to him a short time after that and ask him where Dayton stands and he was very honest with me and came across very genuine. He said he did mention Dayton to the MSU author, and said right now out of his dozen or so schools UD is probably right in the middle. He told me "I really want to learn more about them" right now. I think with the amount of big schools on him, it's safe to say no one from Dayton thinks they are even close to the lead at this point, especially with him not knowing much about the school or never being on campus. I think the staff remains "hopeful" -- I think that would be a good word here -- that they can get him on campus in June.

AP doesn't stand for Associated Press
Adreian Payne (AP) has been a hot topic on the board lately... I talked to someone that has somewhat of a clue what is going on with his recruitment and they told me that Payne has been going around telling people that he "wants to go to a big school." When pressed a little harder, they said that they thought he might end up at a school that no one really is talking about too much. When I thought about big schools that were somewhat close to home, I said Kentucky. My source told me, "That's very possible".

I think if he wants to go to a big school and stay somewhat close, my money right now would be on the Big Blue. But he may come around to being a big fish in a small pond -- only time will tell with AP.

Real Steele Holyfield
I talked with Jalen Steele not for a long time, but he did tell me he would be back up in June visiting Dayton's campus. He hasn't yet set a date for that visit though. I talked to some sources around the program that told me they would expect the visit to likely take place during the week, rather than the weekend, since he has already been up to see UD three times previously.

I would guess it would be sometime in the early part of the month as well, but will let you know when I hear a definitive date.

C-Bus Represent
I was told that Columbus was well-represented on Wednesday night in Dayton's open gym. Recent commitment Ralph Hill came up and played with the guys, and so was DeSales' Nick Kellogg.

From what I hear, Ralph looked very good with the current Flyers. Playing the role that Charles Little played during his time at UD, I was told that he was recruited as a power forward rather than a swing. They recruited Hill to be a similar type like Little, a small four-man that plays mostly along the perimeter and doesn't really post anyone up.

As far as Nick Kellogg, I get the feeling that UD likes him a lot more than we know. I've been hearing his name periodically starting with my trip to Minneapolis.

Closing
That does it for this edition of the War Room. I want to thank everyone for their continued support if you're looking for a father's day present and you don't want to get him anything associated with golf, there is always a FlyerHoops.net subscription :) Hope everyone enjoys their weekend and get over to FIFTH THIRD FIELD next week for the A-10 Championship!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News