ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room (5/14/2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 6th installment of The War Room for the off-season of 2010. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation. Here it is, the 6th edition of The War Room for the 2010 off-season:

KD-2010
With a scholarship still available for a member of 2010, the main focus right now appears to be Kevin Dillard of SIU. Dayton was the runner-up coming out of high school for the Illinois' Mr. Basketball from 2008, and he could find his way back to Dayton if things go well. Right now, I am hearing that he'll be in Dayton next Tuesday for his visit after he just wrapped up finals on Thursday in Carbondale.

Dillard last week said it himself that he was down to Boston College, Baylor, and Dayton and then Jeff Goodman came out with a top five that included both Dayton and Baylor the other day, but no Boston College. Not sure if things did change for him, or Goodman may be hearing old information. I am trying to confirm that and will reply to this thread if I hear anything further.

And now a name from each class starting with 2011...

Purrrrcy
I talked with Detroit Southeastern's Percy Gibson last night and the Flyers are among a dozen or so schools that have him high on their list and he has them high on his. He said he was going to start trimming his list to a top five or so and I asked him if Dayton would be on that list today and he said definitely. He's visited the school a couple times, he came with his coach and a couple teammates for a game towards the end of the regular season. He also told me that Dayton had stopped by a couple times since the season ended to watch him workout. He's running with Team Detroit and said he is putting up some big numbers on the AAU circuit. Early thinking, he said he'd probably make a decision after AAU ball.

Waving hi to Waverly
A 2012 prospect emerges from about an hour South of me in the form of 6-6 sophomore Jake Kretzer of Waverly High School. He's one of those kids that was always thought to be headed to college because of another sport (wide receiver in football), and suddenly he realizes he has a chance to be really special on the hardwood. He averaged 16.5 points this past season for the Tigers and has seen his hoops stock jump tremendously in the past 12 months.

Some schools have even shown interst for him to play both sports at the next level. He should see a lot of attention this summer if he continues to develop on the court as he's running with the All-Ohio Red 16U squad.

Young Bulldog
One of the hot names on Dayton's 2011 recruiting board is Jakarr Sampson from Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary's. When matched up against Sampson this season, Canton McKinley freshman center Mike Mills scored 11 points, nine rebounds, and four blocked shots in a win over St. V's. McKinley coach Greg Malone told me recently, "He has a real chance to be special."

Mills is running with Mike Duncan's Ohio Basketball Club this summer, so he will see some good competition. Along with Dayton, Coach Malone said Mike is getting early interest from Notre Dame, Ohio State, Detroit, Akron, and Kent State.

That does it for this edition of the War Room. Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable weekend wherever you may be!

And as always, thanks to all the new subscribers that signed up and the ones that have been loyal to making this the best site to talk Dayton basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News