ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room (4/30/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 4th installment of The War Room for the off-season of 2010. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation. Here it is, the 4th edition of The War Room for the 2010 off-season:

Two 2010 possibilties
There's been talk about taking Kevin Dillard as a D-1 transfer with the scholarship gained after Jesse Berry was released. I was assured this week that Dayton is exploring all three options: JUCO, Transfer, or high school senior.

Another possible transfer I am hearing is DePaul guard Jeremiah Kelly. The 6-1, 170-pound guard averaged 30 minutes a game for the Blue Demons this past season. He possessed a 2.5-to-1 A/TO ratio, while scoring six points a game. He was instrumental in an upset win over Northern Iowa, scoring 18 points and grabbing eight rebounds in 38 minutes. From what I hear, he doesn't feel too good about his new situation at DePaul and is beginning to throw out feelers about transferring.

I can tell you this much, if they do take on a transfer, the staff is looking for someone that has played and not someone that never saw the floor at another school. This is an example of a guy that certainly played, but struggled with consistency in the Big East.

Looking at the high school route, here's a guy that is on just about anyone's radar in Ohio that is looking for a guard to fill a scholarship for this fall. 2010 guard from Toledo Start Anthony Henderson. The first team All-Ohio selection averaged about 29 points a game this past year, 22 as a junior, but schools weren't sure he would qualify so there was a lot of wait-and-see situations. Now that it appears he'll be eligible in the fall, all the schools looking for late players are trying to get involved. Other schools include Miami (OH), Bowling Green, and Toledo.

Color of Money
Here's a new name that I had thrown at me this week... 2011 combo guard Phillip Green from Julian High School in Chicago. He plays during the summer for Mean Streets. I was told Dayton, UTEP, Bradley, and UIC are recruiting him with offers from Bradley and UTEP so far. As one coach told me, "He's probably going to have a lot more schools on him in the next couple of months." He averaged around 14 points a game this past season as a junior.

No 2010, but 2011
I exchanged some texts with Ge-lawn Guyn this week about his recruiting situation. He did indeed say that the Flyers were trying to get him to come in the fall, but he said he is definitely going to Brewster Academy to prep another yearl. He went a step further and said that Dayton said they would recruit him in both 2010 and 2011, so he'll remain on the radar for the next recruiting class. He was one of the top players in Kentucky this past season and originally committed to Charlotte.

Honigford Nearing a decision?
There was a lot of talk about why Dayton hadn't offered Sugarcreek big man Paul Honigford yet. Talking to his dad this week, I got the feeling that he was close to making a decision to go to Michigan State. "I think he is close" was said a couple of times.. "He's always liked the Big Ten, and I'm a Big Ten guy." "He wants to go somewhere where he can compete for a national championship because thats his ultimate goal." Putting all the pieces together, I am not sure what he is waiting on. His dad did tell me though that if he does go the mid-major to mid-major-plus route, it will likely be a school geographically close.

Red Shirt
So if you'll recall from my early conversation with Devin Oliver just when he got offered, there was talk between he and the staff that he may redshirt if Chris Wright decides to return for his senior year. I felt compelled to ask Devin on Thursday on the heels of Wright withdrawing his name from the draft, if that was still in the works. His answer was No. After a terrific senior year, I didn't think he should redshirt either, he's way too skilled and valuable. With that in mind, it is only the end of April, so a lot can happen between now and November.. but as of right now, it doesn't appear that DMO will redshirt.

That does it for this edition of the War Room. Thanks to all the new subscribers that signed up and the ones that have been loyal to making this the best site to talk Dayton basketball.
This post was edited on 4/30 12:40 PM by Matt Schwade

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News