ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room (4/17/2009)

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 4th installment of The War Room for the off-season of 2009. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation. Here it is, the 4th edition of The War Room for the 2009 off-season:

Not Smush, but Swoosh Parker
As you've probably heard by now, possibly even discussed on the Red and Blue Forum, Josh Parker will be visiting this weekend. Parker is a 6-foot guard at Drake, who originally committed to the Bulldogs while Keno Davis (now at Providence) was the head coach. He was recruited there to play a scoring point guard role. It was said that current Drake coach Mark Phelps wanted Parker to move over to the shooting guard spot, while Josh really wanted to flourish on the ball.

John Calipari is already showing interest in Parker at Kentucky, so you can see with Dayton and ex-Memphis coach recruiting Parker, the style of player they seem to think he is.

While I wasn't told a name last weekend, I was told that the Flyers will likely do one of two things with the scholarship they gained by Stephen Thomas' transfer. 1) Hold it for the 2010 class, the Flyers are on and are continuing to recruit big name players in the loaded 2010 class. Or 2) Use it for a Division I transfer, which explains Mr. Parker.

Parker was Drake's best shooter, displaying great range with his 43.2% from the arc to go with over 10 points a game (third best on the team). Since he didn't quite average 2.5 makes per game, his 43.2% doesn't appear in the NCAA leader, although it would have been good enough to put him at 15th in the entire country. He has the ability to shoot it over the top, create off the dribble, and get to the rim. He would be a tremendous asset to the Flyers, especially considering how he excels in the up-tempo, open style that BG and staff like to play.

For Steele, Ya'll
I talked with Howard Kimber, Jalen's uncle on Wednesday as they prepared to leave for Arkansas this weekend for an AAU event. He told me that BG was unable to visit this week because April 13-16 is a dead period and of course, April events are off limits to college coaches this year.

One new school that called before the dead period was Marshall University, but really that is the only new news with his recruitment.

Although BG didn't make it, Coach Billy made it down last Thursday and saw Jalen workout at Fulton.

Again, I will update you with any information I get on this recruitment, but both seemed really excited about the Prep Xtra Player of the Year Award. Howard said it's just one accomplishment that they've set out for him, but his Grandma of course was ecstatic.

Fields of Dreams
Now here's an interesting one. Anthony Fields played in maybe a couple handful of games this season after his transfer. He's always been thought of as a skilled guard that needed some work on the defensive end. From the sounds of it, his defense has really improved this past year as he put an emphasis on it while he was awaiting his eligibility to kick in.

He's a sound player with great bloodlines. His father starred at Eastern Michigan as a linebacker and then went on to play in the NFL for the Lions. Now here's where a connection to Dayton comes in. Fields cousin? How about former Michigan State Spartan Charlie Bell. Bell was at MSU while Brian Gregory was an assistant coach. Charlie was also a part of three straight Final Fours for the Spartans. Cornell Mann stopped by the school last week, but unfortunately, Fields missed the day because he was out sick. Also, he told me there seems to be some mutual wanting to have him on campus this summer at some point.

A lot of schools are waiting for the evaluation period this summer to see how much they like him, and right now, it seems Dayton is one of those schools.

Grab the Boals by the horns
I received a couple of emails asking me what I thought about the move with Jeff Boals and how it would impact Dayton and their recruiting efforts, specific to Adreian Payne. If you haven't heard, Archie Miller left Thad Matta's staff to join his brother in Arizona and Thad hired Akron assistant coach Jeff Boals. A lot of guys liked Akron specifically because of Boals.

I am not quite sure what it does for AP because if Ohio State is going to take JD Weatherspoon too, I am just not sure where a 2010 scholarship is going to come from for Payne. It would also likely eliminate Payne's interest in the Zips as well, so it realistically could come down to Xavier, Dayton, and West Virginia.

Now here's the one that is huge, in my opinion: Ralph Hill. Last week, Hill told me he was down to two schools: Akron and Dayton. Guess who was recruiting Hill from Akron? That's right, Boals. Sources close to Hill have told me that would likely have a big impact on Ralph and may give the final push towards Dayton. The same source told me it would also rapidly move up his decision timetable. So while most seem concerned with Boals decision and what it means for Payne, look at the others it impacts.

Another guy that Boals was recruiting was Josh Sewell. I bring him up because he's another small forward target that Dayton has a great relationship with; he's been up to a decent number of open gyms already.

At this point though, my money would be on Ralph at the SF spot.

Closing
That does it for this edition of the War Room. Thanks to everyone that for their continued support and the new subscribers that have joined in the last coule weeks. There should be beautiful weather this weekend for Parker's visit this weekend, and I know there was debate, I think this would be a huge pickup for the Flyers. Get out to a baseball game this weekend, it doesn't matter the level of competition, just get out, enjoy the weather, and a game of baseball.

Remember, this is the War Room, where nothing is supposed to leave this thread-- Vegas Baby! What happens in the War Room, Stays in the War Room.
This post was edited on 4/17 9:45 AM by Matt Schwade
This post was edited on 4/17 11:28 PM by Matt Schwade

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News