ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room (4/16/2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 2nd installment of The War Room for the off-season of 2010. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation. Here it is, the 2nd edition of The War Room for the 2010 off-season:

Trey for Trice
A couple things didn't happen last week like they had planned. Coach Trice didn't get out of work until late, so they weren't able to make it to Dayton's campus for last Friday's celebration. They were hoping to get to Butler's campus over the weekend as well, but were unable to. He said he did get to talk to Brad Stevens on the phone last Friday and they were hoping to get together sometime this week. They'll be in Pittsburgh this weekend for AAU ball, so they won't be able to this weekend so it would have had to have been yesterday or today -- and I hadn't heard anything yet.

Coach Trice talked about the disadvantage that Ohio puts their high schools in compared to the state of Indiana. Ohio schools are not allowed to get together and work out for a month after their season is completed, while Indiana has no such rule. He said some guys in Indiana have already been working out for coaches.

He also said that they'll be making a visit to Ohio University this summer (they took an unofficial there last year already). For some reason, I get the feeling that the NCAA win over Georgetown has done a lot for the Bobcats chances with Trice.

MC on the Mic
Speaking of working out, it seems that Michigan is really anxious to see Markus Crider work out. Coach Trice said the Wolverines have been showing extreme interest in landing Crider, coming to the last couple of games this season, and they are one of two Big Ten schools to extend him a scholarship offer. Although I get the feeling that Dayton isn't one of his top schools, Coach Trice and Markus both chalk it up to Crider just being familiar and knowing the situation there -- probably more so than anywhere else. Markus text me the other day that "all schools are in the pictures still."

Travis Trice Sr. said its a tremendous opportunity for him at Dayton and Crider knows that. It's funny what Markus is looking for in a college: an opportunity to develop for the next level, at a good program that will allow him to play on the perimeter. Sound familiar? Yea, it's because it sounds exactly like the guy he would replace coming out of high school -- Chris Wright. Dayton, DePaul, Wisconsin, and Michigan are his biggest offers to date for Markus with Notre Dame looming.

Act now before he's Dwaun!
When the Andersons spoke to Jon Borovich last Thursday, Ron told me the conversation was more personal than getting down to business about his recruiting. The one thing he did say that came up specifically about his recruitment was Borovich asked if they had a timetable in mind. At one time, Ron even threw out next April as a possibility which really surprised me, but I don't think it will drag out that long. As I stated in my article, he said that Oakland, Central Michigan, and Utah remain the only scholarship offers for his nephew. I personally think if they had told Borovich they would like to get this over before July that the staff may have met earlier this week and talked about the possibilities of offering Anderson.

He said they will be playing in a couple Adidas events in mid-Summer in Ohio, the Take 5ive and the Ohio Jam in back-to-back weeks. The Jam is actually in Dayton, where he said they would try to make a trip to UD's campus.

The Firm
Last week's War Room spoke about the contact with Jalen Steele, the former Dayton recruit who has since been released from his Letter-of-Intent from Auburn. Jody Demling released something on Thursday on his Twitter that said the Flyers were among a few schools who've been in contact with former Charlotte commitment Ge'lawn Guyn recently -- a guy they recruited before his initial commitment. Either of those two players would be solid additions to the 2010 recruiting class if a ship opens up. Here's a third to keep an eye on as well: Iowa de-commitment Ben Brust of Mundelein, Illinois. Sources have told me there has been some contact between the Dayton staff and his AAU coach Mike Weinstein. The Flyers showed some interest in Brust before he commited to Iowa last July. The kid can really shoot it. If they need to land someone else in 2010, any of the three from the Guyn, Brust, & Steele firm would be suffice.

Berry Good News, or at least better
Okay, so here's the deal. I found out about Jesse Berry's problems early last week and mentioned in the War Room that "I'm guessing we'll be hearing something very soon on this matter." When I said that, I had already spoke to the local sports editor Jim Stafford, who informed me that Jesse's arrest would appear in Sunday's Police Blotter. While I sat on the story, I did some homework and talked to several different people, ranging from media members, lawyers, cops, and even coaches on the matter. Here's the thing, I also knew that this was only half the problem. The other half was that he might be in jeopardy of not qualifying. I received what was deemed to be good news on Friday as I was leaving work, a JUCO coach who had been recruiting Jesse all season in case he didn't qualify, said that it appears that there will be no charges filed and he'll probably make the grade. As it was quoted to me, "The kid has nine lives." He's already spent a couple of those lives, and that's why BG wants to get him on campus as soon as he graduates.

That does it for this edition of the War Room. Thanks to all the new subscribers that signed up and the ones that have been loyal to making this the best site to talk Dayton basketball.

Question for everyone
I asked a question on Twitter yesterday and was curious how many of you own an iPhone as I was thinking about making a Dayton Flyers app. Reply or send me an email (matt@flyerhoops.net) if you do own one. Thanks!
This post was edited on 4/16 8:45 AM by Matt Schwade

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News