ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room (3/15/2023)

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 1st installment of The War Room for the 2023 offseason! As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation.

Without further ado, here it is.... The 1st edition of the War Room for 2023!

AG

The past year has been beyond challenging and tough on head coach Anthony Grant. He spoke about it after Sunday’s loss with his quote that I posted about adversity and perspective. Unfortunately, there’s a lot more to his situation than what is public knowledge. And I think even his most harshest critic would have a little more empathy and compassion and appreciate the job that he did leading this group this season if they knew everything. Out of respect for Coach Grant and his family, a lot has been kept private and will remain private (at least from my end).

On Sunday when I went to Church, I asked God to help Dayton win. I asked him to help Dayton win for Anthony Grant and his family. When Coach Grant spoke the words that he did after the loss: “I think I've got pretty decent perspective with what really matters,” he was reminding us that some things are bigger than a win or loss on the basketball court. I know everyone wants to win and everyone wants to make the NCAA tournament. Perspective.

I’m not saying Coach Grant wasn’t disappointed that the Flyers came up short in the final, but with all the injuries, illnesses, and other off-the-court issues, he did a pretty darn good job coaching this bunch this year. A couple more open makes and grabbing a little more loose balls and rebounds, and this team was probably good enough to be dancing—even with the adversity.

As I reported yesterday, everything I am hearing is that it’s his job if he wants to return. No question, there is empathy and compassion from above for what he, his family, and his team has gone through before and during this season, but there have been expectations placed upon him for next season.

DECISION

I would expect a decision to be made on his future this week or early next week. I believe Coach Grant wants to return and he is operating as if he will return (but I wouldn’t expect him not to be at this point). He’s a very competitive man and I think he wants to see this thing through. But if he and his family decide it’s best to step away, nobody could fault him.

With that possibility in mind, I am told that Ricardo Greer is indeed a top candidate on a short list if it comes down to it. I’ve heard Greer’s name associated with a few lower-tier mid-major jobs already this offseason as well.

Another name to keep in mind is Donnie Jones, who was on the staff for one year and was instrumental in Coach Grant hiring Ricardo Greer when he first got to Dayton. Jones is in his fourth season at Stetson and led the Hatters to a 17-13 season this year, the first winning season for Stetson since I was a senior at Dayton! For those fact checking, I was a senior during the 2000-2001 school year.

These two names would probably have the ability to keep the core roster intact and build upon the nucleus, assuming Jones would retain Greer. For those of you calling for a Pat Kelsey, Chris Mack, etc., I get it. I am sure if the job opens, we’d hear those names a little more, but right now those are the two guys with Dayton connections that I am hearing the most.

TO THE CORE

Speaking of the core roster, I’m told that Dayton is doing everything they can to bring back both DaRon Holmes II and Toumani Camara. From what I’m told the money is there or close to what they think they’d need to entice them both to return. Obviously, AG returning would also help the situation. In the event he doesn’t, having Greer either as the head coach or an assistant to AG or Donnie Jones would help out too.

End of season meetings will likely take place next week as the players left for Spring Break already and will return on Sunday evening. As of right now, Dayton has two scholarships that they need to fill. I am guessing there will be at least two more that become available after meetings.

The Flyers need to bring guys in that will be rotational players immediately to help their depth, meaning guys that are good enough to start and compete. Injuries are a part of college basketball. There should not be a huge drop off between four and eight in your rotation. And you need to have all eight bought in, on the same page, and understanding of their role.

I’ve been told that DaRon Holmes, Toumani Camara, Mustapha Amzil, and Mike Sharavjamts all could be mulling playing professionally next season. It’s not likely that three or four would make that jump, but wouldn’t be surprised if one or two of them do. Camara, given his age, is the most likely to do so, imo. But, with COVID year, there’s likely going to be a lot of college players next season in Division I that are the same age.

Before I close the roster bullet, an update on what I am hearing on injuries. Malachi Smith will likely need to repair both ankles this off-season. That would likely mean two staggered surgeries so he’s not truly incapacitated by doing them both at the same time. It’s unsure right now whether or not Kobe Elvis will need any type of surgery, but last I heard, they are hopeful he does not. Koby Brea is still suffering from some leg injuries, and quite honestly, I am not sure of the severity of his recovery process at this point. Lastly, I am told Mike Sharavjamts should be alright and not require any type of surgery.

PORTALING

That brings us to the future roster. You probably feel like the coaching staff is being a little more aggressive in the portal this off-season and that’s because they are and are going to be. It’s just the beginning though. The staff understands the urgency to be active and knows that these young men can be quick with deciding their new schools. That message and urgency has been stressed to the entire coaching staff.

Dayton is prioritizing a guard that can break down defenders and score above all else. The guy that when the score is tied, late in the game, you give him the ball and let him go to work. That’s exactly the type of player that could have made the current roster a team that could win an NCAA tournament game or two.

I think it would be important to land that guy quickly so guys like Camara and Deuce could see what the roster looks like if they come back. There’s been a few names already mentioned on social media: Lamar guard Nate Calmese is originally from Gilbert, Arizona, and told me that Ricardo Greer has reached out. He also let me in on a little secret that he is boys with Deuce. Speaking of Deuce, Russel “Deuce” Dean of Hampton is a 6-5 guard that told me he has also already heard from Coach Ric as well. Neither have discussed making visits yet. The last one, 6-8 forward Kamari Lands from Louisville, is also originally from Phoenix and has heard from Coach Greer. During COVID, Lands trained a lot with Holmes’ trainer August Mendes. I know that Coach Mendes loves what Dayton has done for Deuce and would not hesitate to give a gentle push for Lands to give the Flyers a serious look.

I am sure there will be numerous more names that Dayton will be involved with over the next month or so. The staff is just starting to dig in this week and with players meetings next week, I think they’ll keep a few guys warm not knowing how many openings they are operating with. I’ve been told there’s a couple names they are keeping their close eye on as well that in case they do jump in the portal, they’re ready and want to close the deal quick.

SUMMER TRIP

Last, but not least, Dayton is putting together a foreign trip overseas this summer with destination unknown at this point. They were supposed to take one before COVID to France and Spain, but it was cancelled during the pandemic. It’s assumed that they would go to those two countries this time, but not a known fact at this point. In my opinion, Dayton has been a slow starting team the past couple of years so a trip like this could be extremely beneficial to get the feeling out process out of the way before the season begins.

CLOSING

That does it for this edition of the War Room. Thank you to everybody for a great season and a lot of discussion on the Red and Blue Forum. Please remember to be respectful and mindful of each other, the gas-lighting is not healthy or helpful. You all are what makes this board so special and the best place to talk Dayton basketball all year round! And a special welcome to the newbies that just joined the board. You’re in for a heckuva ride! Until next time, We Are…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News