ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room (06/12/2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 7th installment of The War Room for the off-season of 2014. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation.
Without further ado, here it is.... The 7th edition of the War Room for the 2014 off-season!

ARE YOU XEYRIUS?!

The Dayton Flyers took a huge step in perhaps securing their first 2015 commitment on Monday. They hosted 6-8 forward Xeyrius Williams for an unofficial visit and during the visit extended him a scholarship offer, his sixth such offer. Other offers include Buffalo, Kent State, Lehigh, Ohio, and St. Bonaventure.

He told me he fell in love with the campus and the smile on his face in the picture with his family afterwards said everything I needed to know. I wouldn't be surprised if he committed to Dayton before the evaluation period begins July 9th. Xeryius told me he is going to visit St. Bonaventure and Buffalo on June 28th and June 29th and would be visiting Kent State again on his way home.

FINLAND JULES

As you know, Finland's Julius Rajala visited Dayton's campus last weekend for an official visit. Dayton was turned on to Rajala because of their relationship with his head coach, Hanno Mottola, the best player ever to come out of Finland.

Rajala told me that he would likely make his decision towards the end of this week. I am told the timetable has changed a bit and his decision likely won't come until next week. His father has said they wanted to make sure that they are thorough before deciding and weighing all their options. He would be the first ever player from Finland to play basketball at Dayton.

TIMMAH!

Samford transfer Tim Williams and his family will drive over from Chicago today for an official visit to Dayton. The 6-8 power forward averaged 17.6 points and 7.3 rebounds while shooting 60% from the field and 75% from the stripe. He was SoCon Freshman of the Year in 2012-2013 and was named First Team All-SoCon by the coaches this past season.

He has scheduled visits to New Mexico on June 16-17th and Vanderbilt on June 18-20th. He and Charles Cooke would have to sit out next year with two years of eligibility remaining. Dayton had two transfers sit out in Archie Miller's first season when Vee Sanford came in from Georgetown and Matt Derenbecker came from LSU.

MILLER TIME

As was reported yesterday, Gonzaga Collegiate power forward Sam Miller was on Dayton's campus yesterday for an unofficial visit. The 6-8 power forward has more than a dozen scholarship offers currently on the table.

I have confirmed that Dayton is one of those schools that has offered Miller. The offer was extended a little bit ago before he took his visit to UD's campus. Besides the Flyers, his biggest offers to date include Penn State and Rutgers. He also has interest, but no offers from Boston College, Davidson, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Villanova, and Xavier. No word if he would visit Xavier while he was visiting the Miami Valley, but it seems likely.

2016 FOCUS

Next weekend (6/21 - 6/22) is Dayton's annual Team Camp. While the Team Camp schedule is often not finalized until last minute as teams back out and other teams step in, this year's team camp appears to be heavily focused on 2016.

As was reported earlier last month on this site, point guard Howard Washington and his Canisius squad is coming down from Buffalo. Also, I've learned that both Northland and Gahanna will be there from Columbus. That means VCC Warriors 2016 targets Seth Towns and Matthew Moyer will be on Dayton's campus once again-- both, of course, have offers. Another name from Northland to keep an eye on is 2015 power forward/center Doug Taylor, but the focus seems to be on the next class. Dayton, in the past, has used the camp to bring in some of their top young talent on their recruiting board and it appears that way again.

COACH O

To close out this jam packed War Room, a fun little fact about one of Dayton's assistant coaches I learned. As you may recall, I posted that Tom Ostrom and his wife had their second boy together not too long ago. Here's the fun fact and how it went down:

On June 1st, his wife and him headed to the hospital where she was induced. When everything was stable and she was dilated at a 2, Ostrom left the hospital and his wife that's in labor to join Charles Cooke and the other coaches at the recruit's dinner. During the dinner, Ostrom received a call and they informed him that she was now dilated at a 9 and that he better get over to the hospital. He left the dinner, rushed over to the hospital and at 11:30 p.m., they had baby Maxwell. It was Ostrom's third boy and second in the past three years (along with J.T.). Just goes to show you the commitment of these guys to their job and the hard work they put in for the team you all love.

CLOSING

That does it for this edition of the War Room. The Flyers seem like they really want to get Tim Williams in their program, look for an all out recruiting blitz for him over the next couple of days.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support and a formal welcome to those new subscribers to the site. It's all of you that make this the best place to talk FlyerHoops all year round! We Miss you Monster!

This post was edited on 6/12 8:39 AM by Matt Schwade

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News