ADVERTISEMENT

The War Room (06/03/2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 3rd installment of The War Room for the off-season of 2013. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation.

Here it is.... The 3rd edition of the War Room for the 2013 off-season!

Big East
From what I am hearing, Dayton is definitely still a top option if/when the Big East decides to expand. The Flyers are also hoping to hear something before July 1st, but it shouldn't be taken as a negative if nothing is announced before then.

My sources are telling me that Fox Sports likes the idea that was thrown out there last year for college football to have four super conferences, comprised of 16 teams separated into two 8-team divisions. They like it so much that they may push the Big East to become the first superconference in college basketball. The move from 10-to-16 teams likely wouldn't happen all at once, but adding four for 2014-2015 seems very plausible.

Buy Game
Dayton will host St. Francis (NY) in one of their buy games at UD Arena during the non-conference schedule. The Terriers return four starters after finishing last season at 12-18. They return their top two scorers in Jalen Cannon (14.7 ppg, 8.8 rebs) and Ben Mockford (11.1 ppg, 40% from three).

I originally thought it might be a home-and-home so they could get to tell members of the 2014 class in Brooklyn they are recruiting that they'll play a game in front of their friends and family, but confirmed it's just one game. I am sure Allen Griffin had something to do with this game as he is from Brooklyn and was a member of the St. Francis coaching staff a few years back.

Three Shooting Guards in June
Jared Nickens will be making an official visit on June 28th, he told me via text message. He'll also visit Maryland and Wake Forest and already has been to Oregon State. He told me that he doesn't know yet whether or not a decision will be made after his June visits. It seems to me like he could make a commitment prior to the July evaluation period.

I also traded some texts with J.P. Macura and he let me know he will probably make an unofficial visit to Dayton this month. He doesn't have a date setup yet, but did tell me that it will probably be towards the end of the month.

Lastly, one more unofficial possibly during June as Akron St. Vincent St. Mary shooting guard Jalen Hudson told me he is going to try and make an unofficial to Dayton along with a few other schools.

Up 1-0, whoops, not those Bruins
The Ballard Bruins are a school Dayton fans should familiarize themselves with. The Bruins were 32-5 a year ago, losing to Madison Central in the state championship. The Bruins have three players over the next three classes that the Flyers are showing interest in.

2014: Kelan Martin (6-6, 215) SF
2015: Jalen Perry (6-2, 175) SG
2016: Malik Dow (6-3, 175) WF

I would expect the Flyers to try and get Ballard to their team camp either either this year or next year for sure.

That does it for this edition of the War Room. Sorry for not having this on Friday, but I was dealing with kidney stones and was at the doctor. :( That's the reason why the Nickens information is out-dated. :( Thanks though to everyone for your continued support and a formal welcome to those new subscribers to the site. It's all of you that make this the best place to talk FlyerHoops all year round!

Previous War Rooms for 2013

This post was edited on 6/17 8:01 AM by Matt Schwade

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News