ADVERTISEMENT

Early Season Tournaments and an amateur assessment

edluce

Gold Member
Dec 6, 2008
For those who have the capability and time, grab the chance to attend an early season Dayton tournament. They are for the most part in a small venue and a great setting so excellent seats. Charleston was my 10th and favorite ( well, I live here) and sat 5-6 rows up at center court, my preference but rarely possible. The three games plus attending the NW game (son lives in Chicago) gave a perspective not possible with televised games at least for me. Some thoughts, none particularly astute and IMO.
1. The defense with the exception below is good- turned the LSU and maybe the StJ games around. They played hard every game.
2. The offense seems stale and predictable with whiffs of last season. Somewhere is the stat ( hello Flyer Mike) that Dayton's pace of game is one of the lowest of D1 teams.
3. Holmes needs help. Dribble drives to the basket to draw the defenders do not happen and he is routinely double teamed. Not counting the SIU game UD is out rebounded 28-32. As others suggested, why not start Isaac Jack? Rest time and potential of foul trouble for both are worries but...
The expectations of the posters on this board pre-season were high, as in ranked but we are what we are a Kenpom of about 60.
The season is young. IMHO things need to change.
Long post- frigging verbosity

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News