ADVERTISEMENT

8th War Room (06/12/2012)

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 8th installment of The War Room for the off-season of 2012. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation.

So here it is, the 8th edition of the War Room for the 2012 off-season!

Arkansas' Finest
In last week's War Room, I told you about a new point guard in Arkansas Wings floor general Dayshawn Watkins. It wasn't too long after that I learned that the Dayton Flyers had extended him a scholarship offer.

"They offered the other day," Watkins told me yesterday. "I already like the stuff I'm hearing about Dayton, just can't wait to get on campus to see it."

I asked him when he thought that visit would come, he told me probably going to be sometime this month.

As far as an offer sheet goes, Arkansas-Little Rock, Dayton, Eastern Michigan, Louisiana Tech, Missouri State, Ole Miss, Tulsa, and UAB have already tendered a scholarship offer.

Down the stretch...
I talked yesterday with Maverick Morgan from Springboro. He informed me that a decision could be coming in the next week or so, while I am on vacation. He told me that Dayton "has just as good of chance as anyone else" to land him.

He'll start his final three visits today. He'll be at Illinois today, Wisconsin on the 13th and 14th, and then wrap up at Minnesota on the 15th. A source told me they thought it might be a two-horse race between Minnesota and Dayton, but Vanderbilt and Wisconsin are both Wild Cards at this time. I'm going to do my best to stay on top of this situation, even when I am riding "It's a Small World."

What can Brown do for you?
The Dayton Flyers, and other schools for that matter, are turning the heat up on Jaylon Brown, PG on Maverick Morgan's AAU team. Brown has been playing terrific in AAU ball and analysts are predicting him to blow up in front of college coaches in July.

Schools like Evansville, Ohio, Toledo, Illinois State, and Miami have already offered, while Dayton, Cincinnati, and Virginia were showing some high interest of late. Brown told me that the UD coaches are staying in contact with his father pretty regularly. He is ranked 133rd in the 2013 Rivals150.

One-way ticket
For some reason, it's tough to confirm games on the schedule, but I did hear one more possibility for a buy game. I've heard that the Flyers may be playing Florida Atlantic this fall in a one-way game at UD Arena. I haven't heard a date, nor have I heard that it's a definite game on the schedule. We should all know here very soon though.

The Owls finished 11-19 a year ago. They return almost everyone except for two seniors including their top three scorers. They're expected to be competitive in the Sun Belt Conference this season with six seniors on the roster.

Decision Coming...
I don't have much of an update about Tyler Harris except that a decision could come as early as today or tomorrow, but expected to at least come down this week. I talked to a source of mine, and the feeling on whether or not Dayton can land Harris is confident, but not over-confident.

His dad, who accompanied Tyler on the visit, was in Saint Louis last week with his younger son at the Elite 100. The plan was to sit down and hash things out together and then inform the coaches involved. I'm hoping to hear something, but hoping it's after I'm done packing so I have more time to write and interview :)

That does it for this edition of the War Room! Thanks to everyone for your support. Thank you and welcome to the new subscribers as well! It's fans like you that make this the best site to talk everything Dayton Flyers.

Tomorrow's the start of my vacation and I hope that this surprise War Room allows me to leave for a week with no worries. As I've said, if a commitment happens, I'll be covering it for you. I'm expecting the schedule to be out maybe by the end of the week and hoping that I get a list of schools attending Dayton's Team Camp at the beginning of next week. Until next week (or a commitment happens)... Signing off.
This post was edited on 6/12 9:35 AM by Matt Schwade

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News