ADVERTISEMENT

6th War Room (05/10/12)

Matt Schwade

Aug 17, 2002
Welcome to the 6th installment of The War Room for the off-season of 2012. As always, I'll begin this session with the ground rules for those that may be new. Everything that is reported in The War Room must stay in The War Room. Sometimes the info is sensitive enough that it simply doesn't need to be passed on beyond the doors of this message board thread.

This is a special feature for our subscribers only. The reason why it is posted on the premium board is because that's the only way to ensure that the info stays exclusive to Dayton Flyer fans. Thanks for your cooperation.

So here it is, the 6th edition of the War Room for the 2012 off-season!

Down to three
Mislav is down to three schools, and from what I am told, it might be a surprise for the third school on his list. Along with Dayton and Marquette, it very well may be Northwestern as his third school that is a finalist although I have not been able to confirm with him or his coach. Northwestern already has commitments from two of his teammates, Alex Olah and Milos Kostic. He made a couple unofficial trips to Northwestern with them, and there seems to be questions on whether or not he has ever made a trip to Marquette.

The word is that a decision likely won't come today, but "I'd be surprised if it goes past Monday." According to his coach earlier in the week, the decision would be reached this weekend, but it wasn't explained whether or not that meant an announcement would happen this weekend or wait until Monday.

Red & White to Red & Blue?
Dayton very well could have their two scholarships this weekend as Dyshawn Pierre text me that he is going to be making his decision on Sunday. From previous conversations, St. Bonaventure, Baylor, Detroit, Iona, Santa Clara and Missouri may also be finalists. The two big ones though appear to be Atlantic 10 foes Dayton and St. Bonaventure.

He told me he really enjoyed Dayton on his official visit right after the Pittsburgh Jam Fest. I had people email me about a second visit, but that was false. He cleared that up saying he posted a pic of UD a week after his visit because he didn't while he was there. His only other official visit was St. Bonaventure. The Bonnies are hoping the Canadien connection will come through with how they developed Andrew Nicholson.

Oh-Ryan
Decisions are still looming for Hargrave star Ryan Taylor. From the sounds of everything, it doesn't seem likely that he'll be a full qualifier. So his options seem to be another year of prep, JUCO, or go somewhere that will allow him to attend on scholarship as a partial qualifier.

The Flyers would be okay taking Ryan Taylor as a partial qualifier if it comes to that, but that would mean they would have to get a shooting guard for that other scholarship to give Vee Sanford some depth behind him. My guess is IF they get Mislav and not Dyshawn, things will start heating up again with Taylor. It'd be easier to take Taylor with a shooting guard already in the fold for 2012-2013.

J-OW
We're still in wait-and-see mode for Jerron Otis Wilbut as well. The Downers Grove Shooting Guard competed in the United Hoops Classic all-star game this past weekend in Chicago. He led the victorious West squad with 14 points in a 17-point victory.

From what I am told Jerron Wilbut got a decent ACT score, and they are waiting for his CORE grades to see whether or not he will be eligible in the fall. A source told me, "he's got a shot." From people close to him, in the coming weeks, he will likely make a visit to both UD and Wright State while he is in Dayton.

The Month of Jaa
With just Khari Price in the picture right now for 2013, Dayton will definitely need to get a point guard in the 2013 class. Could Jaaron Simmons fit that need? Time will tell. Archie Miller watched him during the evaluation periods in April, and Kevin Kuwik has been staying in touch with him.

Simmons just says he is going to keep doing what he does and hope that his performance and leadership can instill confidence in the UD coaches and result in a scholarship offer. My thoughts on this, if Dayton offered, he'd immediately commit. After having the offer on the table from the previous coaching staff and then have to earn a new one from the current staff, I think it's only reinforced Jaa's feelings about UD. You have to be sure, though, that you would be okay with just Khari and Jaaron as your point guards at least in 2013-2014.

That does it for this edition of the War Room-- what an exciting weekend! UD could have both scholarships filled by Monday for 2012, or the other side of the spectrum is the two go elsewhere. Either way, it means movement in the recruiting picture.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News